Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, im looking for a good hunting/plinking rifle and i really love the marlins. What are your thoughts on the Marlin Model 336 lever action? this is right around my budget as well. also my hunting will be mainly deer so no wild elephants and stuff like that. thanks for all advice!:burnout: i also noticed winchester haulted their line of lever actions :bigeyes:

·
Registered
992 Posts
The older Marlins are fine rifles, I wish I still had mine. I'd rather have the older used Marlin 336 in .30-30 than a new one, I don't know when it started, but the newer Marlins require holding upward pressure on the lever to over come the safety. A feature I don't like.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
A good quality deer rifle in a proven caliber. A fine choice for hunting deer and many other medium sized game animals!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yip the marlin 30/30 is light and handy, accurate enough and the caliber boxes well above it's weight for some reason, every man should have one.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Whats this you say about haveing to hold upward pressure ? I never heard that, and I don't believe it until you can prove it.
Thats interesting when did they do that ?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
There is a small pin on the bottom of the action that the lever has to press up to fire. If the lever is not fully closed the safty will prevent firing.

DANA

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
As I recall A.H. Winchester did something similiar on their Model 94 I think they both started it in the mid to late 80's if I'm not mistaken, just more crud imposed on firearms manufactuers by our ever elightened gov't.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well thanks for the advice! also with the experience of you folks, for around the same price is there another rifle i should look into? again just hunting deer sized game, elk, and plinking. thanks a lot y'all!

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Mike you may find the 30/30 a little light for Elk, remember also that while a fine mid sized game cartridge the 30/30 tends to have a rather dismal trajectory arc and sheds energy rather quickly much past about 125-150 yds

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
You may can find a Steven's bolt action in a larger caliber (30-06 or similar) for around the same money. Although, there is nothing wrong with the 30/30 for deer out to 150 yards or so with the right ammo.

Stevens Model 200 Long Action

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah and i go elk hunting maybe once every two years so i will set that factor aside as for i will probably borrow a higher caliber. but thanks for helping select a fine rifle!

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Mike454 Wait a Minit !!! before you buy your Marlin would you please please check out the 35 caliber it also comes in.
Get on the net and research the 35 remington cartridges you'll be glad you did.
Now my Marlin has that pin thing and you do not have to apply any pressure ! Mike please try to forget you heard that and you'll never ever notice it...A.H

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks a bunch A.H. I will look into that caliber also. Though it will take a couple paychecks to purchase my new rifle for im just working part time at a hardware store:wink1:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Marlin 336

Mike 454, if you already haven't purchased your 336 yet, follow AH's advice and opt for the .35 cal instead of the 30/30. I already own the .35 336, and it was the best decision I could have made. With a half decent scope, and 200gr shells, I'm knocking off 3" shots at 275-300 yds! As far as knock down, unless you're hunting Rhinos, it's the best rifle I've ever saddled up. Personally it's the best rifle all around. When choosing your shells, get the PSP as opposed to the blunt points. Much better groupings beyond 100 yds. Oh and lastly, just get a decent soft case for it, keep her CLEAN is my motto!!!:13:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
3" shots at 275-300 yds
.35 cal
200gr
dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I gotta go get my rubber boots on

I think he meant plus or minus 3" from point of aim, for a 6" group. I can see that. Sort of.

Mike you may find the 30/30 a little light for Elk, remember also that while a fine mid sized game cartridge the 30/30 tends to have a rather dismal trajectory arc and sheds energy rather quickly much past about 125-150 yds
Ditto: 30-30 ballistics are not good compared to modern hunting cartridges, and the low ballistic coefficient of the round nosed bullets required for safety in the tubular magazine make it a really punk round at 150 yards and over. It's a short to medium range cartridge.

·
Banned
623 Posts
Mike454, Two suggestions for you. 1.) Look at the new Marlin .308 Marlin Express which gives the handy Marlin lever gun nearly .308 Win performance, a significant step up which would certainly make it more of an elk rifle. Also, staying in the lever arena, take a look at the Browning BLR in .308, 7mm08, .358, or even a long action in 30/06 or .270. They are VERY nice rifles, I've owned 5 or 6 and still have 3. (I own 2 Marlins as well) Good luck.

Marlin Firearms: 308 Marlin Express

Marlin Firearms: Lever Action Centerfire Rifles : 308MX

BLR Rifles

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Sadly the feller hasn't been back since July 2007 so I guess we'll never know what he bought.
Since this Thread started Hornaday has added to there Leverevolution line of cartridges.
The lastest one being the 35 Remington.
I bet the 35 Remington in the new Hornaday loading would be a cracker jack Lite weight short range black bear, cougar, moose, elk, big foot and deer rifle !
What's yall thought's ? Remember it has a 35 caliber bullet.

EDIT: I can not stand not haveing a 35 caliber rifle and my gun budjet is in the red LOL

·
Banned
623 Posts
Sadly the feller hasn't been back since July 2007 so I guess we'll never know what he bought.
Since this Thread started Hornaday has added to there Leverevolution line of cartridges.
The lastest one being the 35 Remington.
I bet the 35 Remington in the new Hornaday loading would be a cracker jack Lite weight short range black bear, cougar, moose, elk, big foot and deer rifle !
What's yall thought's ? Remember it has a 35 caliber bullet.

EDIT: I can not stand not haveing a 35 caliber rifle and my gun budjet is in the red LOL
There are two pretty new loadings available that take the .35 Rem to a new level for non-handloaders. The new 200gr LE loading adds about 200FPS along with a pointed bullet and Buffalo Bore makes a 220gr FN at 2200FPS that also puts it in a new class. Takes it closer to .356 and .358Win levels making it a very stout performer.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Thanks turner and by the way my cogs have been turning on how to buy either a 35 Remington or 358 Winchester.
I've pretty well bought all the guns I can for a while...But may be just may be 1 more.
I'm kicking myself for buying a Ruger Hawkeye in 308 when I should of bought the Browning BLR in 358 that I really wanted !!!!
Although the Ruger turned out to be a very accurate rifle, I just ain't happy with it. I'm a Leveraction lover.
A.H

1 - 20 of 42 Posts