Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by the dad's house today and he showed me a rifle he was giving me for christmas. It kinda ruined the surprise aspect a bit. It is a .22LR Marlin Model 5. At first I thought I had a model 60. I had one as a small child and thought dad had bought one for me again. It honest to bob looks like a model 60. So can you guys tell me anythig interesting about this.
Jeff:feedback:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Semi auto. Used. It has the last shot hold open. On the info on the barrel it has all the stuff you would expect to see. Marlin Firearms Co Model 5.

I will post pics in a week or 2 when he gets back from hunting.

·
Registered
978 Posts
My advice is to Google Marlin Model 5 and see what you get. I did this with an old JC Higgins (Sears) and it took me a lot of moving from place to place until I found what I wanted. Also, I do not know if there is a Marlin book, like Winchester, Colt, S&W...but I look in these at Barnes & Nobel for info. I think that's theft of intellectual property, :09: but I don't care!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I know Remington has a model 5 but don't remember hearing about a Marlin model 5.

Is it tube or clip?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,715 Posts
Perhaps a Model 75, with the '7' stamped weakly? The M75 is a Model 60 with the detachable box magazine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it is a tube fed semi. I am telling you guys it looks just like a 60 but it has 5 stamped on it. It doesn't have any other numbers before or after it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you I do appreciate it. I will call marlin Monday and ask somebody. They would pry be the authority. Thanks once again.
Jeff

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The serial number is 16366451. I wonder is there a way we can search fr it online using the #

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,715 Posts
I checked on Numrich's site, and they do list a Marlin 5 - they had a barrel, but it's sold out. They list it as '22" barrel semi-auto tube-fed'. I had not heard of one, but indeed, there was! Maybe the precursor to the Model 60?
From Wikipedia, on Marlin dating . . .
Marlin Model 60 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On Marlin-branded Model 60 rifles, the first two digits of the serial number indicate the year of manufacture. For example, on the rifle shown in the photo above, the serial number starts with 18... The 18 is significant, for subtracting it from 2000 gives the date of manufacture for the rifle, 1982. Likewise, a serial number starting with 17 would be a rifle manufactured in 1983.

This method has not been uniformly followed. It is valid only from 1971 through 1999. Prior to 1971, the first two digits indicated the year of manufacture. For example, a rifle with a serial number starting with 70... would have been made in 1970. Starting in 2000, this same old method has returned; the first two digits once more indicate the year of manufacture directly, with no subtraction required. [3]

Recently it seems Marlin has changed their methods once again as one example purchased new in 2006 has a serial number starting with 94, the exact way to find the date seems unclearthough it is possible they are using a "subtract from 2100" method.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts