Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys, I have been debating a long time over which rifle to buy to replace my old .22. I have been debating weather to get a marlin model 60 or a mossberg 702 plinkster. I have heard that the marlin 60 is one of the most popular .22 LR around, but the the plinkster only costs 116.99! and the model 60 cost 152.55. Which would you guys buy. Also whats better tube fed or clip fed? Thanks guys.

·
Master Gunsmith
2,119 Posts
A ruger 10/22 it is the very best 22 on the market for the price it will outlast you and your great,great grand kids if propery maintained.Just my opinion.
steve

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I like my model 60. I like a tubular mag as well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
like the fella above said a ruger is the best way to go but out of the two the marlin i was going to get a mossberg trying to get out the cheap way went to gander mtn the stock is plastic i mean it is a good gun i just like a hard stock that i know will last
thanks

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
Whats up guys, I have been debating a long time over which rifle to buy to replace my old .22. I have been debating weather to get a marlin model 60 or a mossberg 702 plinkster. I have heard that the marlin 60 is one of the most popular .22 LR around, but the the plinkster only costs 116.99! and the model 60 cost 152.55. Which would you guys buy. Also whats better tube fed or clip fed? Thanks guys.
Just pick them both up and buy the one that feels right.

When it gets down to it, thats what matters most anyway. I've handled $5,000 benchrest rifles I thought were just awful. My favs are a humble 10-22 and Marlin 880 SQ. Both together just cost me $350.00.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I TO VOTE FOR THE MARLIN, I'VE HAD BOTH, IN FACT I STILL HAVE THE MARLIN
WHICH SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING. I DONT LIKE THE MOSSBERG PLASTIC STOCK.
PLUS WHEN I TRIED TO BRING IT UP TO SHOULDER FOR A FAST SHOT I ALWAYS
CAUGHT IT ON SOME ARTICLE OF CLOTHING, BUT HAVE NOT HAD THAT PROBLEM WITH THE MARLIN. ALSO THE TUBE MAG. HOLDS 15 .22LRS. AND I THINK 20-22 SHORTS.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,360 Posts
I vote the Marlin Model 60 too. And if you really prefer the detachable box magazine, the Marlin Model 795 is still being sold - Wally's can order it for you if not in stock there. It's the Model 60 action with box mag.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I TO VOTE FOR THE MARLIN, I'VE HAD BOTH, IN FACT I STILL HAVE THE MARLIN
WHICH SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING. I DONT LIKE THE MOSSBERG PLASTIC STOCK.
PLUS WHEN I TRIED TO BRING IT UP TO SHOULDER FOR A FAST SHOT I ALWAYS
CAUGHT IT ON SOME ARTICLE OF CLOTHING, BUT HAVE NOT HAD THAT PROBLEM WITH THE MARLIN. ALSO THE TUBE MAG. HOLDS 15 .22LRS. AND I THINK 20-22 SHORTS.

you can get your 60 to cycle shorts! i thought it only worked with LR shells? i guess i have never tried it

·
Registered
253 Posts
In my opinon stay away from all things mosberg Marlin makes good guns. My dad has a lever action .22 from them thats older then he is and he just turned 60 lol. I dont own a marlin my self but if your looking to save some money why dont you pick up a used marlin 60 I see them at just about every gunstore ive been too in decent numbers for 70-100ish. If your looking for a semi auto a ruger 10/22 carbine is a lot of fun if your just looking for a .22 I would get a savage mark 2 They are bolt action but they are very accurate. I just got mine and im impressed.

·
Registered
294 Posts
In my opinon stay away from all things mosberg Marlin makes good guns. My dad has a lever action .22 from them thats older then he is and he just turned 60 lol. I dont own a marlin my self but if your looking to save some money why dont you pick up a used marlin 60 I see them at just about every gunstore ive been too in decent numbers for 70-100ish. If your looking for a semi auto a ruger 10/22 carbine is a lot of fun if your just looking for a .22 I would get a savage mark 2 They are bolt action but they are very accurate. I just got mine and im impressed.

their shot guns are good i will stand behind that :hitwithrock:

but i will say that their high power rifles like the 100 ATR are not of very good quality cuzz i have one and wont fire the shell unless the bolt handle is down all the way so it is very frustrating

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have to give another vote for the Marlin 60. I have one and it is a great gun.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I dont think mosbergs shotguns are very good. My dad bought a over under from them that broke the 2nd time he used it. It fires both barrels at once at random and when it broke the safty came off. When my dad took it to a gun smith he said he had 6 or 7 of those shot guns with the same exact problem. I also know a few people how havebought thier .22 that have had jamming issues and average at best accuracy. I dont know what mosberg was back in the day but they sell a lot of crap today.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ruger 10/22~Marlin 60
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKEs1Emwcog&feature=related]YouTube - Description of the Ruger 10/22[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKEs1Emwcog&feature=related"][/ame]

·
Registered
128 Posts
After having a 702, and then trading it in for a Model 60, I would say avoid the Plinksters like the plague. The Model 60 is SO MUCH better of a gun, it's well worth whatever you pay extra for it. Resale will be better too, if it ever comes to that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts