Marlin model 60 VS Henry lever .22 LR

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by nc.hunter, May 11, 2008.

Marlin model 60 VS Henry lever 22LR

Poll closed May 26, 2008.
  1. Marlin model 60

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Henry lever 22

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  1. nc.hunter

nc.hunter Guest

Hey guys, I am 14 and I'm getting a job working at subway making about 70 dollars a paycheck so I was going to save up to buy a new .22 LR. Between the two guns which would you choose.

MARLIN MODLE: $150.00

HENRY LEVER 22: $250.00

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  2. riverrat

riverrat G&G Newbie

love my model 60, bro

3. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. But what about a Ruger 10/22? Slightly higher in price, but many more options down the road and they shoot pretty good themselves.

If I have to choose, the Marlin model 60.

4. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

There is just something about a lever gun that cannot be resisted.I cant explain it,but they posess you,you dont posess them. sam.

5. HARDERTR

HARDERTR Guest

I would choose the Henry, hands-down. The action can't be beat AND it will maintain most of its value if you ever need to get rid of it down the road.

6. Sparkytfl

Sparkytfl Guest

You can often find a model 60 for like $50 used. Mine wasn't too much more. I like it, but it is pretty picky about ammo and loves to jam if I use the wrong ammo brand or don't clean it perfectly. Usually fail-to-load about 1-2%, about 10% with some ammo. Of course it's also 30some years old, the feed throat and springs might just be worn out.

7. JohnBlaze

JohnBlaze Guest

probably, i have an older one, and it jams very rarely. I also have a new model, and it's never jammed on me yet, and I'm pretty rough on the ol' girl. I used to buy winchester ammo, and had so many problems it ain't funny. Since I switched to federal i have not had one jam or one dud. Try that.

8. I really didn't know which one to vote for. I'm biased to both of them.
    But after a lot of thought I think you will spend your money wisly on a Marlin 60.
    But you can't beat the Henry.

9. JohnBlaze

JohnBlaze Guest

for what? 2 of my friends have henry lever action .22's and I always bag more bunnies than they do. They sometimes ask me to trade "for a little while" while we are in the field.

besides the fact that it's appealing as a lever action, it's usefulness isn't any higher.

besides, the final word on accuracy and shooting is the shooter. don't blame the gun, blame the operator.

10. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I own both, and really like both. For a young man starting out though, I vote Henry!
    It's accurate, reliable, handy - and Henry's customer service is absolutely awesome! The President, Mr. Anthony Imperato, will make you happy. He insists on his customers having a good time with their rifles.
    Also, the Henry will handle ANY .22LR or .22Short ammo you want to put through it.
    Semiautos are much more picky.

11. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

John, you have the western hat but apparently the western tradition for lever action guns. There's just something about those lever action guns that grabs you. Also, the Henry will hold its resale value much better than the Marlin 60 and the Henry will shoot whatever ammo you load it with. I would go with the Henry.
    That being said, the Marlin 60 is a well made rifle but it is just so plain. Nothing there to make me feel the pride of ownership like the Henry.

12. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Here's why I bought the Henry .22 last year.

My grandson is testing his skills at aiming my Henry .22, which I'll be giving to him eventually.

Attached Files:

13. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

i'd go with the henry. not to say that the marlin isnt a good gun. if you go with the marlin make sure to keep it clean. all i've seen get dirty quick. well really that goes for most of the 22 auto loaders ive had experience with. ive never had a henry but they look great and the one i shot was a real shooter. itll link holes at 25 maybe put em in the same hole if you're good.

well and there's the fact that its a lever gun. i dont think im the only one that finds lever guns appealing for little more than being a lever gun.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  14. ClayMan

ClayMan G&G Regular

I voted for the Henry, but I'd actually tell you to buy both! I have a Henry lever .22 and I also have a Stevens .22 auto. Both are more accurate than I can shoot them (off-hand atleast), and they are both a hoot!

In all reality, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. The Marlin is cheaper and will allow you to buy it and $100 worth of ammo. But, there is just something about a lever-gun, especially a butter-smooth Henry action, that is really cool.

In any case, I think you are wise beyond your years in wanting a quality .22 rifle. You can shoot it all day long without breaking the bank.

Good Luck,

ClayMan

15. Jon_joh

Jon_joh Guest

Has anyone here heard of a remington model 552! Mine is over 20 years old and will shoot dirty as hell with any ammo and its semi auto! And you can shoot 22 shorts, longs, and long rifle cartridges! **** accurate gun too! Best gun I have had! My henry is fussier than hell even if it is clean as a whistle!

16. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

My vote is a Henry! In my opinion you are getting alot more gun for your money. As others have said the Marlin is plain jane. Plus the Henry action is butter smooth! I'm going to be adding a new one to my collection very soon! As for the Ruger 10/22 I got one and I'm not impressed. Trigger pull is torture and it jams ALOT! And has since the day I started with it.

17. The Henry

would also be more apt to retain value should you wish to trade for another gun in the future.

Another thing to consider is the fact that a lever action has a tendency to force the shooter to work toward accuracy while a semi auto often has a tendency to make many people work toward more shooting than aiming.
    Note - this is not true for all people.

18. i have a Marlin 60 that is almost 20 years old and it works great. at 70 yards i can keep my groups under an inch. Im havnt shot a Henry but from what i have heard they are good guns, I think you would be happy with either.

19. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

We have 2 39a's and one Henry in our shooting group for lever 22's the Henry has broken before because they use nylon parts in the mechanisms. I would recommend your save for a 39a or get a marlin 60.