Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a marlin model 60 that i had inherited from my father and it has a problem with loading the first shell. When i pull the bolt back to load it and then push it forward about halfway through the motion the bullet tips up and doesn't load. I then have to pull the bolt back a tad to mnually put the first in the chamber and then after that they all load fine without any jamming. Anyone have any suggestions? And yes I HAVE thouroghly cleaned it

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i am saying. i do pull it back and let it go and it jams, only on the first one though. Then it doesn't jam on any other ones

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
pull the bolt back all the way, hard and fast, look in and see if the bullet has kicked nose up, Could just be spring pressure on the first round , too. could need minor ajustment...
Rich

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pull the bolt back all the way, hard and fast, look in and see if the bullet has kicked nose up, Could just be spring pressure on the first round , too. could need minor ajustment...
Rich
thats exactly what it does on the first round only though, about halfway through the motion the nose kicks up
which spring would cause the gun to do this and how could i adjust it? or would it be better to replace it?

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
It could be a weak cartridge lifter spring or it could be that the roller/ Lifter needs cleaning, which is down in the action and usually is filthy with residue and dirt...
If you never tore one apart, it is best left to a gunsmith...You could take the trigger guard assy. off and see if you can clean and lube the roller and lifter bar carefully with a small toothbrush and solvent.
Rich

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
I've taken apart several M-60's and they aren't too difficult IF you take your time and study the way everything came apart. Take some digital pix whiling doing it, and you should be able to replace anything in the trigger guard. There are several websites that take you through the process with excellent photos and detailed instructions.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
The part you need is called a "feedthroat. WWW.EGUNPARTS.COM has them at $11.60 plus s&h.Take the stock off,take the feed tube out,remove the hammer/feed mech.,straighten a paper clip and bend the end so you have a 90degree at the end about 3/16" long put it in the hole in the hammerspring guide bar,release the hammer.You have an ejector shell lifter spring.Take a screwdriver and push the short end toward the center until it pops off and releases the tension.Take the halfmoon clips off the pins on the outside of the frame.Spread rhe frames wide enough to remove the feedthroat and remove it and put the new one in and line the pins up and push the frames back togather.Replace the clips.Use a screwdriver to push the ejector/lifter spring down until it hooks.Remove the paperclip from the hammer guide bar and cock the hammer.Reassemble the rifle.Those feedthroats used to be plastic and wore fast.The replacement is aluminum.I have three M60,s on hand right now and I can pull the bolt back as slow as I want and let it ahead as slow as I want and all three will load. sam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts