Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some may remember,i found what i think is a marlin model 80 at an antique store , well i went to buy it but the chick that had the key to the cabinet it was in wasnt there. im not exactly sure its a model 80,so ive been looking online for a pic of one . well i cant find one anywhere! would one of you have a pic of one?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a what I think to be a Marlin Model 80. It was given to me by my Grandfather years ago. I can't find any kind of #'s on the gun it self. I do have some very old papers from what looks to be from an old parts catalog. One has Marlin Models 80,80E,80C and 80DL on top of it and the other has Marlin Model A-1 on it. they both look like my gun. Can anyone help me to find out just what I have. I would like to now the age of it.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,040 Posts
The Model A1 was Marlin's earliest semi-auto .22 rifle - getting parts can be difficult. I need a complete bolt for mine.

I have the Model 80DL bolt-action, and love it! It's in a man-sized stock, unlike today's "One size fits most" little stocks. If it has no scope grooves, it was made prior to the mid-fifties when this feature was added, along with the now-famous Micro-groove rifling.
Back then, the stocks were a nice walnut too.
The 'DL' is the deluxe model with Marlin rear peep sight. There were several variations of the basic rifle.
Most .22 rifles had no serial numbers prior to the 1968 GCA - so it makes it harder to date the old rifles.
Marlin's online store still offers the magazines to fit these older models, at a much more reasonable price than Numrich/E-gunparts.
There is also the Model 88 and 89 - semi-auto rifles that are similarly styled to the M80 boltie. Makes a nice 'family group'.

Below is a pic of all three rifles. The A1 on top is missing it's trigger guard (put on another rifle) and bolt knob.
The M88 has it's magazine in the buttstock. It outshoots my Ruger 10-22.
The M80DL currently wears a Lyman 57 peep sight - the Marlin base bolts right on.
All stocks have been refinished.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-1/93045/Marlinolderrifles-A1_M88_M80DL.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts