Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Hi ripcord and welcome to Gun and Game. I personaly have'nt shot one, but I'd guess with the Ballard rifling and 24" barrel it will group within 2 inches or less at 100 to 150 yards.
I've got a marlin 375, when I scoped it I could put 2 or 3 shots within a circle the size of a half dollar at 100 yards, but when the micro grooved barrel heats up it will walk all over a paper plate.
I don't think you'll go wrong if your interested in buying one.
But I'd like to hear what you plan to hunt with it and how those new hornady cartrdges do, if you buy one.
Keep checking back, there may be another member that can better answear your question...Mike welcome aboard

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Should make a good 150yard anything gun,marlin makes a good product.
Ammo might be pricey though,check whats cheaper in your area 450 or 45/70.

·
Registered
35 Posts
when i retiered last fall my wife got me an 1895 guide gun in 45-70 at a friends insistance i got the ballard cut barrel, it shoots verry well with 405 grn loads and marginal recoil, as a matter of fact my 14 year old son took a 200lbs hog in dec. at 50 yds on the trot, a friend of mine works as a full time hand on a big ranch down in uvalde tx and has big time hog troubles so i let him borrow it, now the old boy wont give it back, the size of the rifle and efectiveness of the round are just the tickett, never shot the 450, but the 45-70 had a lot to do with the decline of the buffalo so dont sell it short. in the marlin it can be pushed alot harder than factory

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I'm a marlin fan and before I discovered the 358 win. I wanted my next rifle to be a 45/70.
Marlin is not currently makeing a 358 and I wish they were. Browning has one but it cost to much.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I dunno, its hard to say. Big bore rifles can be nice, but if I need to take somthing big, I like a 338, or a similar round. But big bores do have a loyal following, so I may be wrong.

·
Registered
35 Posts
you are, in my opinion, absolutly right lng rng, each situation or game animal may require a different calliber.last fall i had an experience with an axis buck that impressed on me what is ment by "thick skined" or "tough skinned" game, shooting 150 grn core locks from my 308 a round that has never failed me for performance or accuracy so now i have a new 338 win. mag. and if the time is made available it will put the food on the table leaving my mod 70 to clean up on white tails and hogs as well as those long shots but for those few chances to use or justify the use of i will always use the marlin, thak goodnes we live in a land that we can choose as much and as many guns as we feel justified in having

·
Registered
35 Posts
that buddy of mine in uvalde, his job is game manager and he manages about 15000 acres, the heard is made up of axis, black bucks, fallow, white tail, iranian red sheep, a few aoudads, and too many hogs. any ways he needs help with property clearing or deer management etc. and if my time permits i lend a hand. so once in a wile if his time is free my brother and i will drive down and cull a few. axis are verry proliferus breeders and can quickly dominate a region (this is an educated guess, breeding at a rate of 1and a half times faster than white tails) they adapt verry well to the texas hill country origanally from india and more of a forest animal their spotted coats are suprisingly verry efective at camoflaging. the meet is fantastic, not bland like fallow deer. and they grow much heavyer than texas white tails. not beeing native deer, like hogs, there is no regular seson them. the mounts (if you can aford one are spectacular)(i cant) any ways they are a chalanging hunt and like i said the 308 if not well placed can actually be not enough to take one clean, my brother in trying to preserve a trophy put a 150 grain core lockthrough both lungs and it took 4 experienced hunters almost four hours to find him on the ground about two miles away (as you know deer dont run strait when shot). head and neck shots put them down every time but can be a dificult call in foilage and at extended ranges

1 - 10 of 10 Posts