Marlin or Savage for 22mag and 17hmr?

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by Dexx, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Dexx

Dexx G&G Regular

I'm looking to buy 2 new rifles, one in 22 Mag and the other in 17HMR. You may be asking why one of each, just because I want to. You can never have too many guns! Anyways, trying to decide between the Marlin 917VSF and Savage 93R17BRJ, and for the 22 Mag Marlin 982VS-CF or Savage 93BRJ. I'm not a big Savage fan but I like the laminated stock with the heavy barrel. Besides looks comes down of course to accuracy, durability and trigger quality. Any opinions? I've seen threads similar to this in past and was 50/50 split if I remember. Thanks for the help!

2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Groan,

I'm not so sure there is a way to move beyond 50/50.

My advice - handle all the guns in question then decide what is your best "fit" in terms of weight, balance, sight picture, trigger pull, and so on.
    That will be the one for you and that is all that matters.

3. stinkybriches

stinkybriches G&G Enthusiast

if i were to buy a 22mag today, it would be the marlin. if it were a .22lr i would go with a savage heavy barrel thumb hole stock i think its the markII
    target whatever model.

4. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Heck, does anyone doubt which one I'd go after??

Marlin 982-VS :D

But you do have to fiddle with the trigger a little to get it sweet...but all it takes is five minutes with an Arkansas Stone & a clicky pen spring ;)

Then you might be able to keep up with my Marlin 25MN .22Magnum ;)
    [​IMG]

Heck, the 982-VS is the only thing I'd even think about replacing it with...but I'm kinda hoping Marlin is gonna make the XL-7 trigger part of their rimfire series...so I'm holding off until I get a few answers from my emails to Marlin on the subject :D

5. sell33

sell33 G&G Newbie

hmm seeing as both make great rifles...why not one of each!? i would go with marlin 22 mag and savage 17. just because. like you said you can never have too many guns! so maybe just buy 2 of each one of each in each brand? lol

6. AstroVic

AstroVic G&G Newbie

Really, your splitting hairs here. Any of those choices would be excellent. It just comes down to which one you like better, price, availability, fit, etc.

I am a huge fan of both manufacturers, although I'll admit that I tend to lean toward the Savage rifles more often than not. I own six Savage rifles and two Marlin rifles.

I saw a Marlin 983S .22 Win Mag at the gun store a couple of months ago and I've been lusting for it ever since. It's just an absolutely beatiful rifle. But, of course, I ultimately bought a Savage 93FVSS instead. (Although I might go back and pick up that Marlin as well!)

7. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I like the Marlins a bit better, so I got them both - Model 25MN in .22WMR and Model 17V in .17HMR. Same rifle really, so use the same magazine, and I have them fitted with identical scopes. Minimal learning curve between them.

You could do the same with Savage. But the Savage's more forward mounted magazine makes it more cumbersome on some bench rests.

8. Dexx

Dexx G&G Regular

Well, I think I may buy a Savage in 17 and Marlin in 22WM (or vise versa), then over time I can decide which I like better. Then sell one and buy the other in the caliber and manufacturer I like best. Thanks for the advise!

9. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Marlin .22 mag

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted