Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a pretty comprehensive article by Bryce W. Towsley of "Outdoor Life". It appears that he has seen/heard indications that some Marlin models should be appearing the 2nd half of 2021. Hopefully their parent company Ruger doesn't have as much trouble getting the brand reestablished as Remington/Freedom Group/Cerberus Capital Management did a few years ago.

·
Wonderment :)
33,494 Posts
ChaZam.: Sir; good history. 😁. The real issue! Everything is for sale.
Ruger is prime for a take over. Company has remained solid and profitable

Business doesn't care about quality. Freedom Group proved this.

quote:
In 2000, Marlin purchased the assets of H&R 1871 which included New England Firearms. That added to their résumé a claim to be the largest manufacturer of single-shot rifles and shotguns in the world.
Then in 2007 along came Remington, which was part of Freedom Group, or Remington Outdoor Group (they changed names quite often and it’s hard to keep up). Anyway, the group owned by Cerberus Capital Management bought Marlin. Soon after, they fired all the Marlin people with historical manufacturing knowledge and moved the equipment to Ilion, New York. Those moves pretty much killed the brand

·
Premium Member
24,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The real issue! Everything is for sale.
Ruger is prime for a take over.
??? Craig, I guess I don't understand why you think that Ruger being the new owner is a problem. Nothing I read in that article indicated that the author thought the the new owner was on shaky ground so I don't understand your reference that "everything is for sale" either. In my lifetime of observing their business they have appeared to remain quite stable through some tough economic periods. The author is expecting some Marlin models back in the marketplace in the 2nd half of 2021 and that isn't too far over the horizon.

·
33,494 Posts
ChaZam: Sir; you are correct. My observation. Business.
(I want Ruger to remain as it is)
But
The CEO
What is his personal motivation
What are the share holders motivation

Anyone with a business model. Buy and sell.
The market is ripe for takeover
Ruger stock @ $50.00 share. (Solid) very

These take-overs. $$$. And. Could care less about quality
(ask Remington)

Ruger investors care about only 1 subject matter

$$$$

·
Premium Member
24,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ChaZam: Sir; you are correct. My observation. Business.
(I want Ruger to remain as it is)
But
The CEO
What is his personal motivation
What are the share holders motivation

Anyone with a business model. Buy and sell.
The market is ripe for takeover
Ruger stock @ $50.00 share. (Solid) very

These take-overs. $$$. And. Could care less about quality
(ask Remington)

Ruger investors care about only 1 subject matter

$$$$
No Craig, it's $66.38 /share which is up $0.42.
What are you basing your prediction on that Ruger is going to trash Marlin's quality? If you have some credible info in that regards, please post it.

·
33,494 Posts
ChaZam: Sir; I’m not under any condition considering trashing Marlin nor Ruger.

The thought!
any business model. Ruger is ripe. Well worth a take over buy out

under new management: view what has happened to Remington.
Investors trashed

My point. Business folks see a strong company.
They see instant cash

Once milked dry. Sold off to bidding market.
win win for them

Then
We loose

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Ruger has had more than it's fair share of QC issues. Particularly out of the AZ facility.
Not sure the exact cause but I heard rumors it's hiring/labor practices. Or, too many model variants for their workers to handle.
But that's something that can be remedied.
If they want to.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,575 Posts
The big issues with remlins was old out of spec machinery and processes that skilled labor made work with red pencil adjustments to prints and tribal knowledge. They got better. Hopefully Ruger was paying attention and doesn’t have to go through as long of a learning curve. I believe a lot was invested by remlin in new tooling, CNC, etc.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
The big issues with remlins was old out of spec machinery and processes that skilled labor made work with red pencil adjustments to prints and tribal knowledge. They got better. Hopefully Ruger was paying attention and doesn’t have to go through as long of a learning curve. I believe a lot was invested by remlin in new tooling, CNC, etc.
I agree, I hope they do quality over quantity.
Having the customer being the QA person don't bode well. Also some of their Return & Repair has been ...well sucked. I hope that was remedied.
This sort of thing hacks me off as I used to be a big Ruger fan. Until Billy boy opened his pie hole about 10rds and honesty.
Yeah, insult your customer base.
Now that he's been dead as a door nail for years I'd like to get back on board with a few purchases.
And now that I'm settled on my self loading centerfires I'm up for a few revolvers and a rimfire or two.
Once the ammo craze has abated.

·
Premium Member
24,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Scenario:

If I were a multi-billionaire, anti-firearms Marxist, what better time than now to conduct several strategic hostile takeovers of publicly traded gun manufacturers?
Even if you weren't an anti-firearms marxist I think that's what already transpired when Cerberus Capital Management did that with their Freedom Group using Remington as the largest most visible component of that and then dumping a large amount of debt on Remington that wasn't rightfully theirs. But under that corporate umbrella are firms such as DPMS, Bushmaster, Marlin, Parker, H&R, Para USA, Advanced Armament, TAPCO, Dakota Arms, Barnes Bullets, Montana Rifleman, LAR Mfg., Storm Lake Barrels, etc. I've posted articles before about what happened when they cobbled all of that together and moved lots of that empire to the Alabama location where they then failed to hold up their end of some lucrative contracts and incentives that the city gave them to lure them down there. But old ChaZam doesn't see anything alarming about a firearms company such as Ruger stepping in back in November and buying the Marlin brand in the Remington Bankruptcy proceedings at $28.3 million dollars. (or something like that)

EDIT to add:: Some of those entrepreneurs who built some of those brands such as DPMS and Bushmaster saw what was happening to their former brands under that corporate umbrella and went on to form new startup businesses. Two that come too mind are Randy Luth formerrly of DPMS who now owns Luth AR, and Richard D yke formerly of Bushmaster who owns Wyndham Weaponry.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I just hope the new Marlins are blued, and not just painted aluminum.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Ruger/Marlin has the availabity to recreate history; old style Marlins can be recreated through the modern lost wax casting processes. They also have the capability of taking the other road and machine forgings as Marlin did...together these two have the availablity to make some firearms we haven't seen in years....I am optomistic!

·
Premium Member
24,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pffft.
who cares, you won't be able to shoot them with no ammo.
You need to find you a better gun store with owner/manager that know how to run their business. . I have 2 here in the local area that have ammo for any firearm they have in stock. And they have walls racks, cases, and vaults full of firearms.
Here's just one small corner.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I do understand the concern with Ruger's quality control. I have more Ruger's than anything else. In more recent years, five new guns had to be returned for factory repairs. One of those - an unfired SuperBlackhawk - was replaced with an entirely new gun.
On the flip side of those, my 2020 build Redhawk 44 Mag is very nicely fitted & finished.
So, they certainly are capable of very nice work but don't always practice that on every product line. (Or maybe I just got lucky with the Redhawk? But I don't think so).

So I fully understand Neophyte's concerns.
Ruger is a large company with several locations. They sometimes have "quality issues" (like most any company does), but they are also capable of some very fine work and seem to be customer oriented.
Because of their successes, Ruger is attractive to investor groups - and those typically don't care about a quality product line. They jump in for a quick profit and leave the smoking ruins, which then are divvied up at auction - kinda what led to Marlin becoming available for Ruger to buy.

It's not that it WILL happen. But it is likely to.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts