Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old marlin which I purchased a while back with the stock all sanded down. After I got it I sanded it a little finer and put a few coats of tru oil on it. I would like it a little darker but don't I know much about refinishing of stocks and was wondering if I could stain it with some walnut oil, or if i need to sand it all down again and start over. I'm not looking for anything perfect seeing as how i paid 50 bucks for it but i would like it to look decent. Thanks

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Hi Mitch. It's funny but I recently re finished an old Mossberg bolt action very similiar to you're's. It was also a dark walnut color, and my buddy who owned the gun wanted it a little lighter. I used Min-wax Ipswitch Pine for a lighter, gold look. ( I probaly spelled that name wrong, but it's close.) I also put on about three coats of True Oil,and it came out really nice. Now to you question..I believe you will have to start over as I think the true Oil will seal the wood pores, making the wood not likeable to recieving the stain. If you go to another thread in this forum, I believe there is a spot for refinishing. I know someone will help you better than I but I hope I gave you a good start..:popcorn:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts