Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:09:just wondering what everyones thoughts were on getting a martini action rebarreled in .303 british, weather case life would be any longer than in an enfield action, and would it be more accurate?. I currantly have a action in pretty good order and have got prices on a new chrome moly barrel, $650au, don't no if this fair or a rip off.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Questions

1. Does the price of the barrel include installation, headspacing,
or does it have some specific quality such as a heavy
target style? If not I would consider quite a bit overpriced.

2. I am a bit lost on .303 as it is no longer in any real level of
demand/production in America. However, in your region it
may be very desired and available.

Note: Unless the .303 is very desired/available in your region I would
suggest discussing some other caliber with your gunsmith.
Personally, I think the 7mm/08 is a great cartridge yet
it may or may not be "doable" with your gun.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
It sounds steep to me but I dont know much(more like nothing)about machinework in Australia.As far as I know you would need a short chambered barrel that you should be able to get for someplace around $100.to $200. and have it screwed into your action and the extractor notch marked and removed and the notch cut.Then it would be reinstalled,the notch lined up and check to be sure the extractor worked and then the chamber finish reamed and polished which takes care of headspacing and test fired which I believe could be done for not over $200.American,bringing the total to between $300 and $400.If I were doing it myself I could do it for the price of the barrel and rental of the finish reamer plus my own labor which would be around $150.American.I hope Mooseman gets on this one.One caution I would state is the weakness of the extractor on a Martini.It probably would be no problem if you always used moderate loads and they didnt get sticky.But if they were hard to extract,the extractor might break and you would need to take an old extractor and have it fitted for the .303 cartridge.I forgot to mention this would probably have to be done on the first one,as I dont believe the .577 would be the same as the .303.Definitly,if all you are getting is a barrel uninstalled I would do some more checking.I worked on some Martini,s years ago but cant remember all that was involved.What I stated is the way I remember it.I know it wasnt all that dificult.I also believe a rimmed cartridge was virtually required because of the extractor. sam.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its to bad that it cost so much to send the action over there, otherwise i would get you blokes to do it, the price i got was fitted, and extractor cut.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
its to bad that it cost so much to send the action over there, otherwise i would get you blokes to do it, the price i got was fitted, and extractor cut.
If that is the case it sounds like it is reasonable.I might check,but I doubt that you would save much more any place else.The important part is up to you after you get it.Dont be tempted to try for that few fps more.You dont need it as the .303 is a great cartridge in original pressure ranges from 41k to 43k CUP and the drop is good.Sighted in about 2" high at 100yds,it is around 10" low at 300yds and bullet selection isnt bad,150gr to 180gr.It is a good cartridge but few in the U.S. ever appreciated it. sam.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts