Mas 36??????????

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips Guest

Ok silly ?? or two...seen the Mas 36 in the SOG flyer for around $50 Seemed nice and I have a lot of off the wall stuff.. Is this rifle any good? Is it fun to shoot? Are there any problems with it? Ammo seems kinda of high is it easy to reload..ie find brass bulletts dies ect?
    Thanks.

2. The MAS 36 is a bolt action, magazine-fed main battle rifle. It is stonger than it needs to be, especially considering the round it is chambered for produces only 80% of the pressure of a 308 Winchester. The locking lugs are at the rear of the bolt, which is somewhat unusual, but not unheard of (Remington Model Sevens are similar). It can readily be rechambered to 308 Win by cutting 9/16 inch off the breech end of the barrel and running a finish reamer into it. Then the extractor needs to be welded up and reshaped. However, the gun is a pleasure to shoot in the original chambering. It shoots 7.5 MAS which is available for 20/$8.95 from Southern Ohio Gun and is Boxer primed. Reloading dies are available from Lee. There are several sources for reloading data.

Try 41 Grains of IMR 4320 under a 150 grain .308 projectile.

3. Calvin

Calvin G&G Evangelist

I love mine. It's short, accurate, and will shoot with my Mausers easily. As Phil said, it's extremely strong and reliable. It makes a great "knock about" rifle. I carry mine in my truck all the time, and I have a lot of friends who bought one after they shot mine to do the same.

4. Doglips

Doglips Guest

OK Ill have too send my gun bearer Gurka to retrive my debitcard from the dreaded wifee poo...in the mean time Ill arange for the sherpas at SOG to arrange passage via Big Brown Truck...Thanks All.

5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Bob, my bestest shooting buddy makes his 7.5 French reloads from 6.5 Swedish brass, fireforming and trimming the cases, then load with a .308 bullet. I'll have to ask him about powder loading.
    His handloads shoot very well, and function has been flawless in his MAS 36.

6. Doglips

Doglips Guest

Gurka returned with the debit card furtinatly his injuries will only require 3 or 4 days in the hospital to heal...nasty beast that wifee poo can be when it comes to $$...So I called SOG...They be out of stock on both the MAS 36 and the Simi Auto Mas 59???....They did have the MAS 36 in stock in 308 calaber....but the prices is $130...have to think about that a day or too...then again I got 128 hours on this 2 week pay check so the OT should go to SOG....IS the MAS in 308 ok...read the action was weak?

7. Calvin

Calvin G&G Evangelist

Nah, the action is strong enough. The 49 had a problem with the .308 conversions, mainly because the gas system was not designed for the pressures of the .308. The 36 is a very strong action, as it's a modified Mauser action. Be advised there's no safety on the rifle. It's a good investment, Bob. Ammo won't be any trouble with the .308.

8. Michael M

Michael M Guest

I have a 36 converted to .308. They added a trigger safety, and it's quite accurate considering that it has the worst trigger pull of anything I've ever seen. One of these days it will make a nice project (when it's too nasty outside to go to the range) learning trigger jobs.

9. As I sit here looking at my VZ-24 and my MAS 36 (1963 Indochine war trophy that has been bubbatized), I couldn't testify under oath in a court of law that the 36 is a Mauser variant. They are both turnbolt repeaters, but that's about where the similarity ends.

You are right, Calvin, in that they are strong actions. I'd be hard pressed to come up with a reason that a short magnum couln't be used in one.

10. Doctor Sam

Doctor Sam Guest

MAS 36

The .308 is running 12 -15,000 psi more than the 7.5 X 54 cartridge......................

11. Calvin

Calvin G&G Evangelist

The improvement was that the French moved the locking lugs to the rear of the bolt. This allowed a longer barrel to be used without the extra length. And, don't confuse this action with an Enfield action. The French left an intetional bridge over the receiver to add strength to keep the action from stretching upon firing.
    As far as the difference in pressures, the 36 can handle the .308 with no problem. There are many documented cases of these rifles with thousands of rounds fired through them with no signs of wear or stress on the actions.

12. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

If you are refering to the rifles Century converted to .308 Win , the story I heard is that Century cut the feed ramp or somethig too deep , into the chamber area , leaving that portion of the brass unsupported . This resulted in some explosions . :-(

Do not know if it is true , but sounds typical for Century gun monkeys . :-(

Wyr
    God Bless

13. Calvin

Calvin G&G Evangelist

On the converted 36's, they removed the barrels, and cut off 2 threads. Then, they put the barrels back in, and reamed them to the 7.62x51. I think you are referring to the 49's. The gas system of the 49 was designed to operate off of the pressure from the M29 Mle. round. The .308 operates at a higher pressure, and this caused major malfunctions. Now, you can have the gas system modified, and they function perfectly. What's funny is the 7.5 French is REALLY close to the .308 in performance. HTH

14. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

I had one of the MAS semi-auto rifles , converted to 7.62 NATO . It shot fine , functionally . The story id , some had functionall problems .

But you could not hit much of anything with it .

However , the feed ramp problem was said to be with the MAS 36 bolt gun . I heard some blew up , because the brass was improperly supported . Or so the story went .

If some of the semi-autos had this problem too , I did not hear that story .

Wyr
    God Bless

15. Calvin

Calvin G&G Evangelist

Never heard of that happening, but you could be right. I'll do some research on it today. Let you know what I find out......

16. Doctor Sam

Doctor Sam Guest

MAS 36

I have two of them. Want to buy them with or without dies and cases?