close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Match ammo for M14

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by garand, Mar 18, 2002.

1. garand

garand G&G Newbie

I have a Match conditioned M1A and have almost exclusively shot Federal Gold Megal match through it. I was wondering if anyone had experience with Frankfort Arsenal 173gr M118 US match ammo from the 60's?

Thanks

2. Dave in Pa

Dave in Pa G&G Newbie

sw pa
    M118 is good for 200/300.You can achive a little better accuracy by cracking your ammo before shooting in a match.Cracking is placing each round in a seater die(in your reloading press)and seating the bullet 5to 10 thousands deeper to break the tar seal placed on the bullet by the military arsenal.When you break the seal you will hear a CRACK what this does is give you a more uniform bullet pull from round to round.At 600 yds pull the bullet and seat a 168 sierra over the same powder charge for mexican match,accuracy will be improved considerably over the old 173`s.

3. garand

garand G&G Newbie

Dave,

Thanks for the information for this is excellent. I thought that I must have been added to everyone's twit filter for there have been no replies to any of my messages. I sometimes go shoot at Greater Pittsburgh Trap and Skeet. Ever go there?

4. Dave in Pa

Dave in Pa G&G Newbie

sw pa
    I`m not much of a poster either,just thought you may want to know about M118.If you decide to handload try to work a load with IMR or H 4895.I shot a few High Power silhouette matches at greater pitt some years ago,nice range.Are you in SW Pa?I`m in Connellsville,south of Pittsburgh.

5. garand

garand G&G Newbie

I am in Virginia but occasionally sneak up to PA for some Perogies and Primanti's sandwiches. O yes! and shooting at Greater Pgh Trap and Skeet.

6. M118

I competed in the Alaska Military State Championships 2 years ago. There were 9 sniper teams competing and my team took 2nd. I also (as team leader/designated hitter) took individual 2nd out of 18 shooters. Bear in mind that we were the only ones using an M-25, as everyone else was using M-24s, and we were all shooting M118. Targets ranged from 200 meters to 800 meters.
    From my experience, M118 does just fine in the M14/21/25. Haven't ran any M118LR through our M-25s yet but am anxious to do so. Ops tempo right now is pretty high as you can amagine.
    Salbando

7. sniper762

sniper762 G&G Enthusiast

I have a friend that has a M1A1 that was made by LH Gun Company out of Divine Texas. The serial # is less than 100. He says that it was one of the first 100 M1A's ever made (before Springfield Armory made theirs). Does anybody know about these guns? Are they rare? sniper762@nc.rr.com

8. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    I believe that is the correct name, before they sold to the company that got the rights to use the Springfield Armory name. I also understood that LH Gun Company had forged receivers, not investment castings, that are currently used by Springfield Armory, Inc. Forged receivers are what the US Springfield Armory, H&R, Winchester, and TRW used (and the M1 Garands before that; and the 1903's and 1903A3's before that; and . . .

Forged receivers are much stronger than investment cast receivers. That is not to say that investment cast receivers are not good, in fact the opposite is true. They can be very good, costing less to finish machine them, as they can be cast within thousandths of an inch, requiring only cleanup machining. Many modern rifles and shotguns have only been made with investment castings, because many of the manufacturers of firearms feel that the customers would not be able to afford the forged receivers.

RARE? I suppose so, as not too many were made.