Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a sportsterized Mauser 95 Chileno that I picked up just a couple months back that I've only put 20 rounds through because it's barrel is FRIED! So my question is, does any one know where I could pick up an original barrel that's in decent condition, and has yet to be hacked up by some moron? lol Thanks.
Sean M. Hartman

·
Registered
83 Posts
your chilian mauser

I've got a sportsterized Mauser 95 Chileno that I picked up just a couple months back that I've only put 20 rounds through because it's barrel is FRIED! So my question is, does any one know where I could pick up an original barrel that's in decent condition, and has yet to be hacked up by some moron? lol Thanks.
Sean M. Hartman
its a 7x57 Mauser right???, you might have an easier time finding a barrel for it in another caliber, ive never seen any replacement barrels in 7x57 and never for the Chilian Mauser, i think the thread configuration is different on the early model Mausers so bare that in mind when looking for another barrel and the steel is softer so you have to watch your pressures(not sure what they are), i used to see the Chilian model alot more back in the early to mid 80's in shotgun news, but now you dont see them much at all, you might try to find another one online(not sure where) and use the one you have for spare parts, seeing the one you have has a shot-out barrel and was "BUBBAFIED", i guess what im trying to say is it might be more money then you might wanna spend to do what your asking, its an old rifle with many years behind it 102 years to be exact, im not saying its going to be impossable to find what you need but it might be harder and more expensive, im not saying you got taken for a ride on this one, you may just get what you need, i would try to get another and use the one you have for parts>> your friend Joe

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just took that very same Mauser out to the range yetserday, with me SKS and CETME, so that I could just finish off the ammo that I had for it, and I think the dumb thing is workin better! It's gotten alot tighter grouping now! Five shots fired fairly fast with just a bit of general aiming while standing from 100yrds, it hit with in about 12'' inches of my target. This is the Second Mauser out of three that I've owed that has done this! Any one else have issues like that with them? Thanks
Sean M. Hartman

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Most military Mausers shoot high. They are sighted for 300 meters when they left the factories. You can fix this by installing a higher front sight.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It wasn't that it was shooting too high or too low, it was just all over the place, now it all of a sudden seems to be bringing the groups in tighter, and I'm using the exact same ammo. I dunno, just odd.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have one that was fried-looking when I got it, from not being cleaned properly with all that corrosive ammo.

A few rounds through cleaned a lot of the surface oxidation off and it shoots much better now.

E.R. Shaw will sell you a replacement barrel, but you may not need one. See how well a bullet seats in the muzzle. If it is snug you've got a good chance of saving it by just shooting it lots more.

Most surp and commercial ammo should be fine. I've been shooting mine for 22 years.

They're also going up in value, being pre-99s and therefore legally not firearms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts