Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the above mentioned gun and have always wanted to use if for my hunting needs. Problem is... Well obvious to those who have any experience with this rifle. I do not want to put a scout scope on it (seeing as I already have a Vortex Crossfire and buying a new scope would be silly) and the gunsmith I talked to said that it would be $1,000.00 to do everything he needs to to put a scope on it.

Ok. The question I have is in regards to the S&K 98 Mauser Scope Mount (Large Ring Mauser). It is designed for my gun but finding any info on it online is almost impossible. Will I have to mill the safety with this mount? Will I have to change the angle of my bolt handle (it is a bent handle and not one of the larger bends)? Is the scope going to sit too high off of the action and therefore make it hard to get a good cheek weld? Is it even strong enough to withstand the force applied to it after multiple shots and still stay on 0?

Any help would be lovely. Thanks.

Ps. I have already checked the previous posts and couldn't find helpful info for me. Seems as though everyone likes the scout type mounts.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,060 Posts
The military bent bolt handle does NOT allow standard scope mounting. It would have to be very high. Been there, done that, didn't like it. The bolt handle will need to be replaced.
There are custom triggers that include a safety compatible with scope mounts, making the factory Mauser safety unnecessary. It remains down.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
You will have to have the bolt bent so that you can use a scope. You MAY have to get a low mount safety to make sure it doesn't interfere with the scope. Brownells has those items. The receiver has to be drilled and tapped so a mount can be placed on the rifle. I bent the bolt on mine myself and had a gunsmith do the drilling and tapping. Get another gunsmith! Anyone who tells you that it takes $1000 bucks to get it ready, is a liar and a thief. To me, drilling and tapping should be less than $60 bucks! Bending the bolt means putting it in a special block, putting in a heat sink and heating the bolt handle until it can be bent over. I have done two of them, but I have a set of welding tanks too. Bending shouldn't be more than the cost of the drilling and tapping. Find another gunsmith. Those two things shouldn't cost more that $200. Just my opinion. I have no experience with the SK mount. I did bend the bolt and have the receiver drilled and tapped on my Turkish.

·
Premium Member
5,304 Posts
What he said. Getting the mount and having it installed should be $150 or so. Low forging the bolt handle and a low scope safety another $150 or so. Sounds like that smith doesn't want the work.

·
Super Moderator
4,556 Posts
I'll have to dig my Mauser out for pictures but with a k98 to mount a non scout scope it sits like this.

This is a deactivated rifle and not mine but it will show how high an original mount holds the scope. It is definitely different to shoot compared to a modern scoped rifle.

Reactions: jwrauch

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,060 Posts
It also depends on the scope. Older scopes with smaller eyepieces will sit lower than more modern scopes with huge oculars. I even had this problem putting Bushnell scopes on my .22 rifles. The big ocular blocks the bolt handle.

·
Super Moderator
4,556 Posts
that is a nice 98k!!
Thats a deactivated blank rifle. I couldn't find time to dig mine out of the back of the safe. I mainly wanted a picture to show how high the "old school" mounts were for the Mauser series rifle.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The Timney "Beuhler Style" safety works good on M98 style actions. Brownells usually has them.

·
Registered
753 Posts
You will have to have the bolt bent so that you can use a scope. You MAY have to get a low mount safety to make sure it doesn't interfere with the scope. Brownells has those items. The receiver has to be drilled and tapped so a mount can be placed on the rifle. I bent the bolt on mine myself and had a gunsmith do the drilling and tapping. Get another gunsmith! Anyone who tells you that it takes $1000 bucks to get it ready, is a liar and a thief. To me, drilling and tapping should be less than $60 bucks! Bending the bolt means putting it in a special block, putting in a heat sink and heating the bolt handle until it can be bent over. I have done two of them, but I have a set of welding tanks too. Bending shouldn't be more than the cost of the drilling and tapping. Find another gunsmith. Those two things shouldn't cost more that $200. Just my opinion. I have no experience with the SK mount. I did bend the bolt and have the receiver drilled and tapped on my Turkish.

Exactly - either the man is a crook - or incompetent!!! :eek:

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Reactions: rando and Merle

·
Super Moderator
4,556 Posts
Good for a chin weld, but not for a cheek weld.

Verne
You would think but it's actually not that bad. It's not as great as a modern scoped rifle but not too bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts