Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and her dad built a gun using what i belive is a 98 mauser action. it says Herstal – Belgique and Fab Nat. D’Armes de Guerre on the side of the action. Heres when i am stumped, it has a scope on it and we dont want to remove it to look at the inscription on the ring by the barrel. my wife says it is an eagle over a shield. it also says Republica de Columbia under the shield. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:feedback:

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
You have an FN 98 Mauser action that was contracted to the Columbian Military.... The Columbians purchased new 1950 short 98 Mausers from F.N. then converted the other Old 7 X 57 Mausers to match the new ones. If it has .30 stamped on the rear bridge, this means it is was 30-06. It is rare to have the crest still on the action as most were ground off before Export to other countries.
Rich

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
One more question

First off thanks so much for the replies with the info. My last question. When they built the gun they changed the barrel and it is a 22-250 now, the gun shoots unbelievable! She can shot 5 shots touching at 100 yds, for that reason we dont want to remove the scope to check the engraving for a date, is there any way to tell or is there a certian years they were mfg for columbia? Thanks again...

p.s. Does anyone have a photo of the cre4st or a link to where i can see it? thanks again...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts