Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in the Central Texas area to install a new Wilson barrel on a 98 Mauser? I will be supplying the barrel, just need it screwed on and finish reaming the chamber. If not in this area, I wouldn't mind shipping it off elsewhere to get it done. Thanks

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Hey Wayne i hope some one comes along and answears your question.
I've got a 1909 model 98 Mauser that I would like to have a barrel in .358 cal win, put on it and then put it in a composit stock and deer hunt with it...A.H

Wayne I just called Douglas barrels just now and they make barrels to order atleast they do for the caiber I want and will cut them to the length you want.
The man I talked to said they have to be headspaced too. he quoted me $ 258.00 for the 358 I want but an ffl holder would get a discount.

Have you already bought the barrel ? You may can get one that does not require reaming.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks AH, I've decided on a Wilson for this project. 22 in , 1/10 twist in 308. It is short chambered , so I'll have to get a qualified smith to do it. Helping my nephew build this one, should last hm a long time. He swapped an Enfield for this rifle and it is chambered for some off-the-wall wildcat load that we can't identify. He's wanted a 308 for a while. Any leads at all out there?

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Wayne, we have a smith here in Abilene that has been in business for a loooong time (since 1946). I've never had them do a barrel replacement, but everything else they've done for me has been excellent. Their number is:

Longacres
325-672-9521

Longacres

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that lead toolman! Looks like it will be Longacres who does this job. Called and talked to Kevin today for about 45 minutes. Very nice guy and seems to know his stuff. Barrel is on order. Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts