Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Spanish FR-8 a couple of years ago without a rear sight. These were converted in the 1950s into training rifles for the CETME. Along with other modifications the sights were changed to a style simular to the CETME. The rear sight is on the rear bridge and I am told it was some sort of rotating affair. Guns were imported by Century and they have no parts. I've checked the usual places to no avail. This is a great handling .308 carbine that probably deserves to be fired aimed instead of pointed! Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I own a CETME Sporter, myself (there's a CETME/G3 forum, by the way!), but all I can get ya is this site, as I'm not too familiar with the FR-8's: FR7/FR8

·
Registered
358 Posts
I used to own a FR-8, and you are correct it does have a rotating rear sight. It has 4 positions, 3 peep,with small, medium, and large holes. The 4th being a V type open sight.

I found it to be a very handy little rifle, the only thing i didnt quite like about it was that the front sight is a spike type setup, and under low light it was almost impossible to see the top of the front sight, but under the right light conditions i found that i didnt notice the problem.

I dont know where you might find a replacement rear sight for your rifle, but i wish you luck and hope this small amount of info was helpful.
Nathan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all very much. It seems the model is scarce and the rear sight must be very vulnerable because none of the "usual suspects" have one. I do like a challenge!

The Spanish Mauser site was very informative. One link stated that the FR-8 used the CETME rear sight, my guess a very early one or the reference is more to "type" than specific. I'll go check out the CETME/G-3 site for possible leads. In the meantime I will appreciate further assistance.

I would appreciate info on accuracy and quirks and hints.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,958 Posts
The FR8 rear sight is quite different from the CETME sight in construction, though giving the same sight picture. Does your rifle still have the welded-on base, or has it been ground off? Some of these fine guns were 'converted' to mount scopes. In this case, having a good gunsmith D&T the receiver for a side-mounted Lyman peep sight would make it a good shooter. Lots of these centerfire Lyman peep sights on ebay. They mount to the right side, as the bolt stop prevents left-side mounting.
If the original mounting post is in place, best place to check would be the FR8/CETME forum on Tuco's Gunboards (Gunboards.com) - a fellow named Arnaiz in Spain has access to many original parts. If anybody has them, he would! Good guy to do business with too.
My FR8 shoots a good group, but it can be difficult finding the 'sweet spot' with the V-notch in the rear sight. Recoil is stouter that a longer-barreled rifle, but less than an 8mm Mauser or a Mosin Carbine. Mine works fine with commercial .308 as well as milsurp 7.62X51.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My rifle still has the "posts" or bases. This is the reason I am interested in replacing with original parts. I know these rifles are more oddities than being considered rare; but someday if I deface it someone is apt to say why did someone ruin this unique piece of history. Everything is with the rifle; cleaning kit, proper sling and bayonet.

I'm taking your advice and trying Gunboards. I'll keep you informed.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,322 Posts
I had one...paid $150 for it...turned around 2 months later and sold it for $375...:D

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,958 Posts
Joe, you're my hero . . . talk about some great deals . . . :)

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,322 Posts
It was a cool little rifle but I didn't like the recoil or the odd sights.

·
Banned
259 Posts
A friend's FR-8 has the rear sight mount as part of the receiver. It would be a shame to machine that off. It's solid and accurate within reason. I don't see how an FR-8 could be used to train for a CETME. Bolt and semi-auto are 2 different acting guns. The CETME's bolt carrier is big and heavy which absorbs a lot of recoil
It's a bolt action and will kick harder by design. His M-14 kicks way harder than my CETME or Garand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts