Mauser M71/84 questions.

Discussion in 'Mausers' started by Mike82, May 2, 2008.

1. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

1) Are they worth much?
    2) Are they safe to fire on today's loads?
    3) Are parts available?
    4) Are parts cheap enough to restore without having a HUGE money pit?

reason I ask these questions is because I just got my hands on an entire case (like the big wooden case u hold clothes in) of 63 different rifles, some were in so bad shape the wood just fell off the receiver....the ones in best shape were ones on top and there were about 11 Mauser M71/84's....a few SKS's, but they're so rusted the bolts look to be welded shut, there's so much rust....pains me to see these in this shape. These were bought at a local flea market that came thru, the guy sold me entire case, after alot of haggling, for $250. It looks as if it went thru katrina. Gonna be doing alot of soaking it seems. reason i ask about parts mainly is it seems he(or someone) removed all the bolts from the bolt action rifles, so i may have gotten screwed. and i looked up mausers and found that all the mausers in there were M71/84's....so, any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: should've read the paperwork that came with the box....at bottom it showed a looong list of 'relics' bought from SOG, about 100+guns on list....but only 63 in box, but the ones in box seem to be listed on form....and i just looked on SOG's site, it shows a few rifles they are selling as 'parts' guns....so i guess i bought someone's junk....looks like i'll be busy with ebay for a while.

and i learned my lesson about buying junk from traveling sales fuckers :mad:

i could've gotten 3-4 M91/30's for that price GAHHH!!!!!!!

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    got any pics???

3. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Pics would be cool!

4. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

nvm on this post steve....if you look here Non-Dealer Items the 71/84 shown is about same shape....maybe better....think i'll just scrap these, 5 of them have barrels that are completely clogged in rusty dirt(clay and rust mix) and the barrels are prolly 2-3mm bigger inside....might be good for shooting .50cal ammo with :silly:

5. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

hmmmm....i got an idea....but before i launch my idea, i'd like to know if anyone knows if the M71/84 Mausers are safe to fire on today's loads, or if they were made for the blackpowder, low-pressure loads? My smithy said he might be able to mod up some cheap milsurp barrels to fit these receivers(talk about making ur own weapon :D )

here's the site i'll be getting lil trinkets(missing doodads) from: Mauser | 71-84 | e-GunParts.com

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  6. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    the 71/84's were chambered for an 11mm black powder cartridge made just for that rifle. these rifles are UNSAFE to use with anything other than very low pressure loads. if your smith is thinking about chambering these for modern cartridges, find a different smith.

7. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

thank god you told me this....didnt wanna go boom in the bad way. <bows before lefty o>