Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this one posted elsewhere. Here is the problem, when loaded, the rounds that are located on the right side of the mag seem to jam and not feed when chambering the round. the nose does not want to move into the chamber. This does not happen with the rounds on the left side or the last round in the mag. Is it a bad spring or other problem. This was happening with the original barrel and the one I just put on. thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
re:

it is a vz24 with a replacement barrel that i just put on. I currently shoot yugo 196 fmj and soft point.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Okay, now that you have said you are using FMJ & SP's (and having the same problem with a new barrel) I think that what is going on is that you are not loading your rifle correctly.

I'll attach some pictures to help aid my thoughts. Here goes. For this series of pictures I used my 1903 Swedish Mauser since for all practical purposes they are the same, and since I just happen to have her nearby.

Look at the picture on the left very closely. Notice where all of the cartridges come to rest against the front of the bolt? That is how the bullets should lay in the magazine.

Look at the picture on the right very closely. Notice that when the cartridges are thumbed back to the front of the boltface that you can see a small clearance between the front of the bullet and the breech? That is how the bullets should lay in the magazine.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here a couple of examples of the cartridges not being loaded properly. Notice that in both pictures that the cartridges only have a small amount of distance between the bolt face and the cartridge (just a small screwdriver's width).

Notice in the picture on the right that the top cartridge (which feeds from the right) is already touching the inside of the breech which is curved, which prevents the bolt from closing?

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ta daaaaaaaaaa...

And a couple of more pictures showing how you simply cannot make the bolt close because the top cartridge (which feeds from the top right) does not have enough clearance to enter the breech.

Now go on and try it (I bet you a nickel I am right). You will find that the cartridges feeding from the right will not chamber, and the other 2 cartridges feeding from the left may chamber.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
My verbage may not be technically correct, but I think your problem is solved! Just remember that as you load each cartridge into the magazine, thumb it rearwards until it makes contact with the bolt face (actually the magazine well). By doing this your rounds will move effortlessly forward into the chamber. And now, you are on your way!

Hope this helps! :burnout:

By the way, as you click on each attachment to view the picture you can enlarge the photograph for closer examination. While the lighting is not perfect, you will be able to see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
re

Thanks, sorry it took a while to reply I dont visit sight much. When I get back from Iraq, I will definately give it a try.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i am home and tried it, still missfeeds coming off the right side, i think it is now down to the spring itself not keeping enough tension on the follower

1 - 10 of 10 Posts