Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm just getting into the collection hobby. The blue book typically does not have a lot of info on military surplus. Any good books resources out there on Mausers and valuation ? i.e. if I come across a random Mauser somewhere, how do I tell what it's worth ? E.g. how much does price go down if the crest is not present on a Yugoslav ? What is the right price for a Russian capture - prices vary a lot, so are there specific guidelines ? What's with all those "bcf", "bcd" codes & their value ? If someone puts a scope on a RC but otherwise it's not bubba'ed ? etc. etc. thanks :)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
bump. Mauser books /valuation tips/general guidelines ? Or is it one of those "In due time you will learn for yourself grasshopper" ?

Ok, after going thru some old posts I found "Mauser Military Rifles of the World" by Ball - I'll think I'll get that first :nod:

·
Registered
15 Posts
The BYF,BCD,BOF,CE are actually the codes that the manufacturers put on what they made. I have a good sight that explains all of that stuff:
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/firearms/98k/k98index.htm
You might have to copy and paste that sorry. It's all towards the middle where it says 1934 and so on.Mines a BYF 44 which means that it was made in Obendorf at the main factory there.

Hope that helps any.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts