Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,322 Posts
Many years ago, I bought a Spanish M43 Airforce Mauser at a K-Mart - back in 1976. It had been bubba'd along with several others. Who knows what K-Mart was doing with them?
Years later, I modified a Brazilian Mauser stock for it, and got it looking "military" again.
I also have an old M1903 Turk that had been cutdown and bubba'd to. I bought an M38 Turk stock for it, but it doesn't fit. Different inletting. So I refinished the bubba'd stock and cleaned it up. Nicely figured Turkish Walnut. Looks a bit odd - a short European-style forearm with the long barrel. I call it "Long Tom". :)

Can't get pics just yet - I'm still having problems getting my rebuilt computer to load the HP photo software.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard about K-Mart and Roses selling old surplus rifles years ago. And for cheap to.
Personally I want to buy a good Mauser action and rebarrel it back to 8mm.
I love the 8mm.
I don't think it got enough credit here in the states because it was of Nazi origin. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
myarmor said:
I heard about K-Mart and Roses selling old surplus rifles years ago. And for cheap to.
Personally I want to buy a good Mauser action and rebarrel it back to 8mm.
I love the 8mm.
I don't think it got enough credit here in the states because it was of Nazi origin. I could be wrong though.
Myarmor, I have an 8mm, but have know idea as to its origin. It has Ger 98 on the side of the reciever and on the top front ring has a crown with Ausburg 1916 under it. Any idea what I've got? I inherited it, and REALLY love shotting it.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I dunno why you'd barrel a Mauser in 8mm instead of buying one complete.

My aspiration is to use a magnum length Mauser action for a 50 caliber wildcat that shoots BMG bullets but has the OAL of a 300 Win Mag.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,322 Posts
Trekkie, is that Mauser still in issue condition - full stock with handguard and metal pieces, "roller-coaster" rear sight? If the serial numbers on various parts match, you could have a nice collector piece there. The early and pre WWI Mausers were the pinnacle of their quality. :)

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Lets see I have mausers that are in
6mm Remington
7x57 Mauser
8mm Mauser
Currently looking at 375x40 Nitro, 6.5-06 and several others If I can find some turks at an extreme discount I could easily see many more good projects

·
Registered
226 Posts
Being you asked!!!!!
I cut a Erfert mauser in and removed the stripper clip thomb gruve and welded it back together,cut the bolt leaving the guide as and index point. Added a Remington style bolt handle The welded the bolt face and turned it to fit a 222 cartrage. The extractor was the hard part,took 3 trys to get it correct. Cut and welded the floor plate too look like a single shot plate. carved a stock from a nice piece of walnut, Installed a Douglas 17/222 wildcat S/S barrel. Spent hours in front of the TV hand laping the bolt to the receiver. I don't mind saying it was the nicest 150 yd rifle that I ever built,That is except my 22/250.Hart barreled Sako.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As for pics, I took some today, but haven't got them on my pc yet. I had to email them from my in-laws to myself: haven't joined the digital camera age yet.

I'm not sure what you mean, BigDog, by handguard and metal peices. It does have the "roller coaster" rear sight and has wood 3/4 the way up the barrel, top and bottom. I can't say I'm a real wiz at knowing the different types of guns. Just know how to hit what I'm aiming at with whatever happens to be in my hands at the time! :target:

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,582 Posts
My first and only mauser was a Spanish in .308. I liked the gun ok but gave it up. I really wasn't into High Power then & ended up getting my 700 a few years later. Never looked back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just can't seem to get it right. Try just going to photobucket.com and then going to album named "Trekkie". Maybe that will work.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
cjboa- the cleaning rod should just unscrew. the bolt is removed by opening the bolt and pulling it back- when it stops there is a box on the rear left hand side of the reciever pull out the front of the box and pull the bolt all the way out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts