Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,326 Posts
I'd steer clear of it, if you dont want the rifle altered. The way I see this thing, and reading the description - You need to do some inletting in the barrel channel near the receiver for a retainer system - a spring strap most likely. This will require removing the upper handguard (except on a Kar98k) to fit the mount. I can't see it being very secure.

I once bought an earlier ATI "no gunsmithing mount", and now I have a perfect Brazilian '08 stock ruined with four slots that had to be cut into it for the mount's clamps.
Any mention of ATI always makes me cringe . . . :eek:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
The M98 i recently aquired, had been drilled for scope mounts, though the holes were wrong for any mount I knew of. I took it to the local gunsmith and had him do a mount for me.

With the recoil of the 8mm rounds, I just can not se a "no drill"mount being solid.

Nick

·
Registered
815 Posts
I had mine drilled and tapped. It wasnt a rare mauser so no worries. The gunsmith broke 4 taps doing it too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
German Mauser Steel

I had mine drilled and tapped. It wasnt a rare mauser so no worries. The gunsmith broke 4 taps doing it too.
My gunsmith told me (with another customer standing there, who had asked what that "antique" was), that the K98 was without doubt the best bolt action rifle ever devised. He also said that the German steel had cost him countless drill bits and taps!

---MakarovManic

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
My gunsmith told me (with another customer standing there, who had asked what that "antique" was), that the K98 was without doubt the best bolt action rifle ever devised. He also said that the German steel had cost him countless drill bits and taps!

---MakarovManic
I have drilled countless mausers and if the action is placed in a drillpress vice,leveled,suported properly,and lubericant used with a quality drill without too much pressure it is simple to drill them.Drill and tap them one hole at a time,drilling the hole with the depth guage set on the press and then remove the drill and put the tap in the chuck without moving the action.Start the tap by turning the chuck by hand.Remove the tap and finish tapping being sure not to use enough pressure to twist the tap.Insert the screw and go to the next hole.Dont try to drill two and tap two. Its just a matter of going forward and back several times.I have used one tap on numerous guns.By starting the tap with the chuck you stay straight with the drill hole.You must ancor the vice to keep straight. samuel. I forgot to add,square and ankor the scope base on the action and mark the drill holes and then remove base.Also mark each one except the first one after you put the screw in the first one.One piece work best. sam.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have a Steyr '43 98K mil barrel and action dropped into a sporter stock with a replaced bolt handle, a Buehler safety, a Timney trigger, and a cheapie scope. I paid $100 for it not too many years ago. After I glass-bedded the action, it shoots 1" groups. Not much to look at, but one of the best hunting rifles I own. The 8X57 cartridge is great for deer or elk, if you handload.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts