Gun and Game Forum banner

Mauser won't feed right.

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AKHunter 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an 8mm (7.92mm) bolt action rifle that won't feed properly, when you sent the first round into the chamber, the second round will get hung up underneath it and stop it cold. Also, when you manage to get a round in, occasionally when you lift the bolt and pull it rearward to extract the empty, the bolt will come back without the case in it. and then you have to snap the bolt back home and try again. The second time, it always extracts normally. Any help would be appreciated.

:feedback:

#2 ·
The only thing I can come up with is that you may just give the bolt and the long guide section of the extractor a good look over and see if you can see or carefully feel any burs, cracks, or anything like that. Other than that, I can't figure out what else would cause that. Been trying to figure it out, but just don't seem to see any other reason for those problems. Let me know wheaties you find any burs or not. I'll keep trying to work out what it could be though. Hope this helps. Good luck!

#3 ·
I had a Ruger that acted similarly when feeding the first round. The floorplate in the magazine was catching on burrs at the rear of the mag box causing the first round to exit the magazine at too steep an angle, the second round would get forced forward onto the ramp and jam the two rounds. This rifle was glass-bedded into a synthetic stock and was a bit tight in the mag area, I relieved some of the epoxy at the rear of the mag and also filed the rear of the floor plate ( there was a sharp upper edge ) just enough to get a nice slightly rounded edge. After that I never had a feeding issue. As to the extraction issue I have to agree with Sean about a worn or cracked extractor, or perhaps it is bent away from the bolt face just enough to prevent it from gripping some brass. Hope that helps!

#5 ·
I was thinking about the trouble with your rifle and my comments. I have to correct my terminology :34:. The 'floor plate' I was refering to is actualy the magazine follower, hopefully my explaination was clear enough that you took it for the follower when you read it. Sorry if there was any confusion. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.