Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Maverick 88 security, took it out and fired about 20 rounds of slugs and buckshot and it shot and functioned great. However after cleaning and tightening the barrel nut back on, I noticed the stock moved slightly. This is a brand new gun and the stock is loose, could this be a defect or normal? what type screwdriver removes the pad, should I use blue loctite on the bolt and what size is the bolt in the stock? Thanks for any help.

·
Wonderment :)
36,496 Posts
old fart: Sir; I know nothing about the Maverick. With my 870’s. I use an o-ring.
My concern with loc-tite I really haven’t any issue with blue loc-tite

Reactions: BigEd63

·
Premium Member
10,386 Posts
The Maverick 88 is the lower priced version of the Mossberg 500. Usually plastic or Composite stock. The bolt is down a bit inside the stock and usually a large regular screwdriver. The pad should be two Phillips head screws. I would not put locktite on the bolt as it will lock the stock bolt in place and in the future if you have to re tighten it then it will be tight into receiver threads. Then remember that the receiver is CAST ALUMINUM on these. You may strip them out if you over tighten the bolt or install Loctite and try to tighten bolt in the future. The Mossberg shotguns are steel and the Mavericks are all cheap aluminum cast. Just letting you know ahead of time.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I put a pistol grip with a fold over ATI stock on mine. Pistol grip and rip, or unfold the stock and shoulder it.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
My Son-in law has a model 88, his came with the pistol grip and the buttstock, it too was loose. What I have found works well when tightening steel bolts into aluminium is to wrap the threads in teflon tape, it holds the bolt tighter and once torqued it wont back out. Teflon tape is readily available in any hardware store. Start at the threads-end and tightly wrap a couple of layers and see how it fits.

Reactions: neophyte
1 - 5 of 5 Posts