close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Me too!!!!! .222 or .223?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by randydan, Apr 1, 2002.

1. randydan

randydan G&G Newbie

I'm also looking for a varmint rife, but want a heavy barrel. Can't decide which to get .222 or .223? I'm looking for something I can build up later with lots of options. ( interchangable after market parts, barrels, triggers) Can't decide what brand to get. Savage, Remington ? All ideas would be appreciated. Can't spend a lot of money right now, or I might consider a Sako. That is why I would like something that shoots good out of the box, and that can be rebuild slowly as I see fit. The purpose of the gun is for varmints and want to try some target shootong.

Thanks

Randy

2. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    randydan - I apologize for my ranting and raving as in the previous post. I was posting to a thread that was in the Gun Room, which suddenly disappeared and my "book" was posted to your thread. If I could remove it I would, but that is up to Chris and Jesse.

3. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Randy,
    A friend of mine had a Remingtom 700 in .222, sweet shooting rifle. Everyone has .223 and the brass is plentiful. anyone please correct me if I'm wrong but i believe the 222 has a longer neck which does make the relaoding process a bit easier. the 222 also spen it's time in the trenches as a bench rest cartrige.

4. sadiehn

sadiehn G&G Newbie

Randydan If money may be an issue or you want the best out of the box accuracy savage is the way to go.I have a 25-06 not a inherently accurate cartrige and with my first loadings (work ups) I was shooting .625 and I know that it will get smaller.It would also give a real good platform to build a rifle from.I am now looking for a savage mag action or long action as My next rifle will be built on it and will either be a 375 H-H or 35 whealend

As for caliber the .223 has a lot a peices and parts real cheap and the military uses it so you could go the surplus route if it were me I would consider the 22-250 It has a little more range

5. Re: .222 or .223

Hmmm. Bolt action heavy barrel? I have a 700 VS in .22-250. Great rifle with a great cartridge. I can shoot all the .223 or .222 can shoot and then some as far as bullet weights go.
    Most bolt action rifles don't lend themselves to swapping out barrels. Takes too much work setting the headspace, etc.

6. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

If cost is a consideration, Savage makes some nice package deals, with scope included, for a decent price.
    I lucked onto a heavy-barreled Ruger .22-250 Varminter last year, for about half it's true value. Check those pawn shops! Some poor soul parted with a very sweet rifle.
    A .243 can be a good choice, too. Excellent varmint round, and enough grunt to double as a deer rifle.
    :nod:

7. nashcat

nashcat G&G Newbie

Go with the 222! The longer neck seems to help with accuracy. I went to the range today with my 25 year old Rem model 788 in 222 and shot a couple of 1/2 groups. Not bad for a rifle that was $129, new in the box.

Nashcat

8. sniper762

sniper762 G&G Enthusiast

Go with the .223 Its beats the .222 heads up in all aspects.

9. VBULL

VBULL G&G Newbie

Check Out The Savage 223bvss Modle12 . Shoots Great Straight Out Of The Box.i Own One And Love It, Great Stock, Nice Pistol Grip,heavy Barrel,1 In 9 Twist,fluted Barrel ,aluminium Bedding In The Stock.i Am Shooting Just Under 2 1/2 Inch Group Some Times 2 Or A Bit Under It Depends On Me At 300 Yards. What More Do You Want For Varmint Shooting. 22 250's Barrel Burners! At Lest You Can Shoot A Large Range Of Bullet Weights 50's>70's Or Even 75's. The Price Is Affordable For You Guys, Us Aussie Pay Double Plus More. Any How That's Only My Opinion. Bye For Now.

10. CV32

CV32 G&G Newbie

The .223 will provide you with good performance and flexibility, and the ammo is cheap. Many people will tell you, however, that the .22-250 is a little better performing cartridge, ballistics wise, and they're probably correct. There are, as always, pro's and con's. Personally, I went with a .223 because the ammo is cheap, and I can use it in military collectible shoots at the local club because of the military origins of the caliber. :cool:

11. Keen Kiwi Kid

Keen Kiwi Kid G&G Newbie

Varmint rifles

A couple of years ago I splashed out and bought a heavy barrelled Sako .22-250 Ackley improved (now thats a barrel burner!) this rifle with the right hand load easily shoots sub 1/4 inch. I found it hard to accept anything over 1/2 inch, in my case most of my varmint shooting is done at night spot-lighting from a 4X4 shooting wallibies and hares, in this case the spot light is the limiting factor (out to about 250 yards) so I made the wrong caliber choice, while it is a nice rifle, it is a complete over kill and is to expensive to run. Just recently I picked up an ex-nzpolice Remington model 7 .223 from a auction website and with cheap Yugoslavian ammo it will shoot an inch @ 100yrds and this does my job anyway, so from my experience I'd say go with .223 and I'd also wonder if you really need the heavy barrel varminter anyway, sure I don't know the specifics of what you will use it for, but alot of people will find (like in my case) that a standard rifle will do the job.

12. G Hollingsworth

G Hollingsworth G&G Newbie

All good comments but in the real world.First 1 turn in 9 in is wonderfull for the long heavy bullets.BUT! if you want the best hunting bullets for hi vol 22s 1 turn in 14 is where you want to be. Any acton with 2 locking lugs up front is the only answer. Yes the 788 WAS a great rifle out of the box but not made anymore. I own a 22 250 sako with a 24 in Heart barrel thats 30 years old and 250 yds is no contest. If your going to build and in 22 cal maybe you should look at the 22 ppc Holds all the worlds records.

13. reloader

reloader G&G Newbie

go with the 223 man.. i was told the 222 are not made anymore i think only like 3 companys make them now but i think there around like 400 bucks. my neighbor has a 222 and he reloads and i have a 223 and i out shoot him everytime.. the 223 was made off the 222...

14. jc1232

jc1232 G&G Newbie

you might try the Remington VS SF II 223. It comes wit a H S Precision stock, heavy fluted barrel and shoots good out of the box. Not sure what you want to spend but well worth looking at.

15. Lng Rng

Lng Rng G&G Newbie

I see no advantage to owning a .222 over a .223. Go with the .223 for sure.

16. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    and you guys realize this thread is 5yrs old?!

17. WOW! I've been looking at it because of the new posts. I guess its been resurected.

18. NEON 95

NEON 95 G&G Newbie

as some 1 els replyed they took there .222 out and shot 1/2 inch groups...shooting targets that is but if your looking to shoot game i would go with a .223 it offers a bit mor hit and the parts a always avalible.

19. NEON 95

NEON 95 G&G Newbie

Dose any 1 know if it is posable to change a .223 shell into a .222 ... can you tell me how or send me a link to a website that can?

20. skb2706

skb2706 G&G Newbie

Original thread started 6 and a half years ago. But there are some incorrect statements.
    1. the .223 was not "made off the .222" . The .223 is a longer case thus not possible. If anything the .222 Rem mag is the father of that bunch.
    2. the longer neck of the .222 makes no difference in loading.....its one of those handloading legends that some writer dreamt up.
    3. yes its very easy to make .222 brass from .223 making the brass issue non existent.
    4. the loading components for either cost the same.
    5. the list of chamberings that beat the .222 in fps only starts at the .223. if you use that for the decision making process you may as well move up to the 22-250 AI or the .223 WSSM.
    6. I see no downside to the .222

PS to make .222 brass from .223 -

1. using clean, decent .223 brass - lube inside neck and outside body with Imperial size wax.

2.set up .222 "seater die" (they are not quite as tight and provide a step down) to full length size case. This will move shoulder down to correct location. This may take a bit of trial and error but if you keep notes it is very repeatable.

3. Now set up sized die to do the same thing. I would suggest using a test case to have cut to length of the .222 to get the headspace set correctly for you size die.

4. Once set size the cases and trim to length.

5. I make .221 brass from .223 brass and it works well.