Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked to swing by and introduce myself (and that is a first on any forum, thx) so here I am.

I am primarily a military weapons collector. I have about thirty, mostly rifles with a few pistols tossed in. My years of interest are a bit fuzzy so lets just say the cartridge firing era though mainly WW1 and WWII.

I collect the accouterments that go with the weapons, cleaning kits, tools, bayos...etc.

I reload (with current ammo prices a pretty staunch requirement if you shoot some of those old crocks) and enjoy that aspect of the hobby too.

I was a regular on Surplusrifleforum but went away for a few years and when I came back that site seemed to have imploded. Sorry to see that. There were some disagreeable old farts there but there were good people too.

Anyway, thx for the welcome.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
8,252 Posts
Welcome to Gun and Game from NW Arkansas!
I used to be fairly big in shooting and collecting them from around 1997 to around 2006 myself.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was asked to swing by and introduce myself (and that is a first on any forum, thx) so here I am.

I am primarily a military weapons collector. I have about thirty, mostly rifles with a few pistols tossed in. My years of interest are a bit fuzzy so lets just say the cartridge firing era though mainly WW1 and WWII.

I collect the accouterments that go with the weapons, cleaning kits, tools, bayos...etc.

I reload (with current ammo prices a pretty staunch requirement if you shoot some of those old crocks) and enjoy that aspect of the hobby too.

I was a regular on Surplusrifleforum but went away for a few years and when I came back that site seemed to have imploded. Sorry to see that. There were some disagreeable old farts there but there were good people too.

I stumbled on this place a whole back, and it is a really nice group of folks. I lurk and chime in with my nonsense on the regular. I wish all of these guys (girls too just using good old fashioned English standards) were local. If the world goes South I would love to have them around me. Even, and maybe especially, the old timers.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

While going through some old files I found the following missive. This was originally penned as my intro to the old surplusrifle.com forum site. It still pretty well encapsulates me. It jarred some brain cells loose too. In a post on the SKS forum I stated that I had bought both that rifle and my M44 as a package deal. It now seems this was the M44 and my first 91/30 that I purchased together (I still remember it as the SKS though, the brain pan must have taken a few dings from all of the recoil through the years. Anyway, here it is. (It's a tad dated. I have a 1903 now)

Start ten year old repost

I’ve owned and handled guns since I was given a .22 rifle for Christmas (A Glenfield autoloader that I still have) when I was a kid. I loved to take that gun out plinking but I wasn’t ‘Really’ into guns yet. In the mid 80’s came the first gun I actually purchased, a Norinco AK-47 chambered in 5.56 (still got that one too). The AK was more fun than the Glenfield but I still wasn’t ‘Really, Really’ into guns yet.

Fast forward to the Late 90’s. I’m a gun owner and an NRA member but the bug hasn’t bitten hard yet. The trigger was a company that gets maligned a lot, Mitchell’s Mausers, after seeing their ads in American Rifleman with every issue I finally broke down and ordered a ‘collector’s grade’ M48 (still have that one too, are we seeing a pattern here). Yes, I paid too much but did get a beautiful chunk of wood and steel that kicked worse than anything I had ever fired before. That did it, I was bit.

I started going to gun shows. Before that Mauser I’d never been to one. I’d always been interested in military history and read a great deal on it but had never realized that the weapons that fought those wars were available. I think my Mossins came next, the M44 and 91/30. I bought them both from the same guy as a package deal. Both had been in the arsenal wrap but the dealer had cleaned up the 91/30 (he didn’t do a great job, the first time I got it hot the cosmoline poured out of the thing). Things snowballed from there.

I remember purchasing my first gun online, it came off of GunBroker but I can’t really tell you which one it was. I know I was scared, I was sure that I was going to get screwed. I studied the pictures, read the descriptions then studied the pictures some more. Finally I bid on a rifle and got it. When it arrived it was nicer than the pictures made it look. That was the first of many. More than half of my collection had probably been bought online. Maybe I’ve been lucky but I haven’t been displeased yet.

Most folks have a collecting philosophy or focus. Some collect Mossins and want a sample of every model and every variation, some collect Mausers some want British rifles or Swiss Rifles or….well you get the picture. I have a focus too but its fuzzier and broader than most. I want a representative sample of every battle rifle from the first half of the 20th century. I don’t need or have time for every variation. One 91/30 is enough, there’s more to see, move along. I still have massive holes, I don’t have a K98 or a 1903 or a T-38. I don’t have an FN-49 or a G43.

That’s good. That mean’s I can keep looking and searching and for me the quest is at least half the fun.

Lately my focus has expanded. I’m still interested in the 20th century stuff but my wants have drifted into the 19th century as well. I’ve had my Krag for a number of years (I told myself that it was almost 20th century) but a trapdoor just joined it and lately I find myself looking at Martinis and Snider Enfields.

I’m an opportunist. Often I will cruise the gun shows or the online sites not looking for a particular gun. What I’m looking for is a deal. If I see something that would fit into my fuzzy focus and it’s a great deal, I pounce. I purchased much of what I have for quite a bit less than they are now worth.

I once thought that was the only way I would buy. I’d wait till some country decided to flush its arsenals then buy cheap as the market was flooded. I’ve done that a lot but there were certain guns I would never have gotten, the T-99 or the trapdoor come to mind. Those I went looking for but I still look for the deals.

Condition is important to me, it’s probably the most important thing. I want pristine bores, smooth wood and nice bluing. Pitting and crud are a big turnoff. I want them original. I also want the accessories, the sling, the bayonet, the cleaning kit.

My guns got me into reloading. As my closet got fuller the number of guns that I’d never fired began to increase. I’d never fired them because I couldn’t find ammunition for them. Every gun show I’d look for 30-40 Krag or 7.7 Arisaka and either find nothing or at best come across some guy who wanted $30 for a battered box of 20 rounds. I finally figured that if I wanted to shoot some of my less common toys I was going to have to roll my own.

I’m not that good of a shot. When people start talking about 1 inch groups at 100 yards I wander toward the water cooler. If I can hit a man sized target at 100 yards I’m happy. I’m more of a collector than a shooter but I do insist they all shoot, no wall hangers allowed.

There are guns I will likely never have, the G41, the 1941 Johnson, a French WWI semi-auto. I’d love to have any or all of those but the premium is above what I’m willing to pay. I am hoping to have a G-43 someday though my posterior puckers at the potential cost.

That brings me to what I don’t do. I don’t sell or trade my guns, ever. Once it makes its way into my grubby hands its mine. It won’t leave me till I leave it. That’s one of the reasons I’m so picky about condition. I know I’ll never part with it so I’ve got to be convinced its right before I buy it. My guns are like my children and I don’t sell my children.

·
Registered
109 Posts
While going through some old files I found the following missive. This was originally penned as my intro to the old surplusrifle.com forum site. It still pretty well encapsulates me. It jarred some brain cells loose too. In a post on the SKS forum I stated that I had bought both that rifle and my M44 as a package deal. It now seems this was the M44 and my first 91/30 that I purchased together (I still remember it as the SKS though, the brain pan must have taken a few dings from all of the recoil through the years. Anyway, here it is. (It's a tad dated. I have a 1903 now)

Start ten year old repost

I’ve owned and handled guns since I was given a .22 rifle for Christmas (A Glenfield autoloader that I still have) when I was a kid. I loved to take that gun out plinking but I wasn’t ‘Really’ into guns yet. In the mid 80’s came the first gun I actually purchased, a Norinco AK-47 chambered in 5.56 (still got that one too). The AK was more fun than the Glenfield but I still wasn’t ‘Really, Really’ into guns yet.

Fast forward to the Late 90’s. I’m a gun owner and an NRA member but the bug hasn’t bitten hard yet. The trigger was a company that gets maligned a lot, Mitchell’s Mausers, after seeing their ads in American Rifleman with every issue I finally broke down and ordered a ‘collector’s grade’ M48 (still have that one too, are we seeing a pattern here). Yes, I paid too much but did get a beautiful chunk of wood and steel that kicked worse than anything I had ever fired before. That did it, I was bit.

I started going to gun shows. Before that Mauser I’d never been to one. I’d always been interested in military history and read a great deal on it but had never realized that the weapons that fought those wars were available. I think my Mossins came next, the M44 and 91/30. I bought them both from the same guy as a package deal. Both had been in the arsenal wrap but the dealer had cleaned up the 91/30 (he didn’t do a great job, the first time I got it hot the cosmoline poured out of the thing). Things snowballed from there.

I remember purchasing my first gun online, it came off of GunBroker but I can’t really tell you which one it was. I know I was scared, I was sure that I was going to get screwed. I studied the pictures, read the descriptions then studied the pictures some more. Finally I bid on a rifle and got it. When it arrived it was nicer than the pictures made it look. That was the first of many. More than half of my collection had probably been bought online. Maybe I’ve been lucky but I haven’t been displeased yet.

Most folks have a collecting philosophy or focus. Some collect Mossins and want a sample of every model and every variation, some collect Mausers some want British rifles or Swiss Rifles or….well you get the picture. I have a focus too but its fuzzier and broader than most. I want a representative sample of every battle rifle from the first half of the 20th century. I don’t need or have time for every variation. One 91/30 is enough, there’s more to see, move along. I still have massive holes, I don’t have a K98 or a 1903 or a T-38. I don’t have an FN-49 or a G43.

That’s good. That mean’s I can keep looking and searching and for me the quest is at least half the fun.

Lately my focus has expanded. I’m still interested in the 20th century stuff but my wants have drifted into the 19th century as well. I’ve had my Krag for a number of years (I told myself that it was almost 20th century) but a trapdoor just joined it and lately I find myself looking at Martinis and Snider Enfields.

I’m an opportunist. Often I will cruise the gun shows or the online sites not looking for a particular gun. What I’m looking for is a deal. If I see something that would fit into my fuzzy focus and it’s a great deal, I pounce. I purchased much of what I have for quite a bit less than they are now worth.

I once thought that was the only way I would buy. I’d wait till some country decided to flush its arsenals then buy cheap as the market was flooded. I’ve done that a lot but there were certain guns I would never have gotten, the T-99 or the trapdoor come to mind. Those I went looking for but I still look for the deals.

Condition is important to me, it’s probably the most important thing. I want pristine bores, smooth wood and nice bluing. Pitting and crud are a big turnoff. I want them original. I also want the accessories, the sling, the bayonet, the cleaning kit.

My guns got me into reloading. As my closet got fuller the number of guns that I’d never fired began to increase. I’d never fired them because I couldn’t find ammunition for them. Every gun show I’d look for 30-40 Krag or 7.7 Arisaka and either find nothing or at best come across some guy who wanted $30 for a battered box of 20 rounds. I finally figured that if I wanted to shoot some of my less common toys I was going to have to roll my own.

I’m not that good of a shot. When people start talking about 1 inch groups at 100 yards I wander toward the water cooler. If I can hit a man sized target at 100 yards I’m happy. I’m more of a collector than a shooter but I do insist they all shoot, no wall hangers allowed.

There are guns I will likely never have, the G41, the 1941 Johnson, a French WWI semi-auto. I’d love to have any or all of those but the premium is above what I’m willing to pay. I am hoping to have a G-43 someday though my posterior puckers at the potential cost.

That brings me to what I don’t do. I don’t sell or trade my guns, ever. Once it makes its way into my grubby hands its mine. It won’t leave me till I leave it. That’s one of the reasons I’m so picky about condition. I know I’ll never part with it so I’ve got to be convinced its right before I buy it. My guns are like my children and I don’t sell my children.
Thanks for sharing. That was an enjoyable walk through your head for a moment.

I have only one "collectable" gun which I bought mostly on accident. I had no idea what I was getting (neither did the seller), but I am with you on the no sell, no trade on my guns. I hope my son will appreciate guns more as he continues to age, but if not he can sell them. Not me.

My collectable, by the way, is a 1977 Colt 1911 customized by one Jim Hoag. I fell in love with it online and two choices, make it mine or always wish I had. The Jim Hoag customization was the part that neither myself nor the seller were aware of. I tried to talk him down a little, and I'm glad he didn't budge. I feel bad enough for stealing it at the price I did.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts