Memorial day

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Turbo, May 26, 2008.

1. Turbo

Turbo G&G Newbie

I hope this is the right place to put this. If it is not please move it or delete it accordingly. Thanks.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO5tPf9LUC4&feature=related[/ame]

Doc Kent.

You always brought a smile to our faces, and never complained, the beers we drank, the wild times we shared, and the tears we shed will never be forgotten.

Corporal Elrod.

Nate, you were what every Marine should strive to be, I miss ya brother. You did more than your share, and I can not even begin to describe the thanks I owe you. A lot of us owe everything to you.

Sergeant Frazer.

You had only been with the team for a few weeks when you got hit, but the impact your leadership had on everyone, including myself, has shaped who we are now.

PFC Feniello.

I stopped by your parents house after we got back last year and had a knee to knee with them. They are so very proud of you. As are we all. You were great.

Doc Anderson.

Without you I would not be here today.

Semper!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz8PISGCWh8]YouTube - If You're Reading This[/ame]

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  2. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Thanks Turbo. I caught up to it, this morning, but the impact was just as solid. More tears for those who gave all, and those who never came home. I wish everyone could understand what we veterans feel, during these times. God bless our defenders, one and all, past, present, and future! "Can Do"!

3. aimtrue

aimtrue G&G Newbie

Turbo and Seabeescotty, I remember reading your posts last Memorial Day and was touched by what each of you said.

This year Memorial Day 2009 falls on May 25th. It has special significance to you and to me. However, to others, it is simply a holiday free of the normal workday routine.

We veterans know that the actual purpose of this day of observance is to enable Americans to commemorate and show appreciation for Americans who have died in military service.

It is a sacred time for us. For me, on this day, I honor not only sterling Americans that served before I was born but also a group of brave and dedicated men alongside I proudly served during the Korean War. They were my friends, my fellow airmen, my comrades. They made the ultimate sacrifice for our country. When I think of them, my emotions are stirred by bittersweet memories. In my minds eye they are forever young, vibrant and brave.

It might be difficult for those who never served to understand the bond linking men at war called comradeship. It is similar to love but different from normal friendship because it occurs at a time, place and circumstance in which those involved unite in a common purpose to protect one another from an enemy and together combine their power to defeat that enemy.

Perhaps, the most quoted passage illustrating comradeship may be found in Shakespeare’s Henry V.

Before the Battle of Agincourt on 25 October, 1415, King Henry spoke to his men. In part, he said,

“We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition:
    And gentlemen in England now abed
    Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
    And hold their manhood cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day”.

During the Korean I served as airman with Navy Patrol Squadron VP871. Our mission was to provide reconnaissance for the U.S. Far East Fleet and also to provide aerial support to Marine units fighting in Korea. We were called the lamplighters because we illuminated the night darkness with flares so that our Marine and Army ground forces could detect and defeat the overwhelming Chinese forces that had crossed the Yalu into North Korea.

Airmen of our squadron crewed PB4Y2 Privateer multi-engine aircraft. I was a member of a flight crew consisting of LT E.W. Darrah, LT R.A. Ward, ADEC P.H. Lowe, AOU2 F.E. Thornton, AT3 D.R. Gabbett, AL3 F.E. Partain, AN J.T. Andrew, ALAN R.F. Bowen and ADEAN D. Lim.

On 6 August 1951 I lay in a hospital with pneumonia. That day, my crewmates all perished when the aircraft in which they were flying crashed into the sea during a low level run at a surface target. I was devastated learning this terrible news. Even today in 2009, fifty-eight years later, I still feel anguish when I think about this horrific event.

After I recovered from pneumonia they assigned me to another flight aircrew consisting of LT E.C Hill, LT C.C. Johnson, LT L.W. Seymour, AMC L.R. Humiston, ADE1 J.H. Jorgensen, AT1 J.M. Wilkins, ADE2 R.M. Funk, AD3 O.R. Anderson, AL3 M.L. Cedeno, AO3 L. McMurray, AN R.A. Rose, and ALAN R.W Stacy.

On 13 January 1952, a number of men from different flight crews were taken off flight status and assigned temporarily duty to help transport squadron materials to safer locations via ship and truck. I was among those assigned to this extra duty.

When my work crew arrived at our destination, we learned that in the early morning of that day the aircraft of which I had been a member of the crew, had suffered a double engine failure on the port wing during final approach to the landing strip. The plane had crashed killing all aboard.

I cannot adequately convey to you the complete shock I felt at that time. I simply do not have words to express my utter and complete grief.

An obvious question about these two events does not escape me. I did not then nor do I now know the answer. What I do know is that these two monumental events in my life shaped me from that time onward. Whereas before I had been as most young people of my age, not too serious, living the moment without thought of the future, engaging in more fun than common sense and being unappreciative out of ignorance of the blessings I had as an American, after this second loss of fellow airmen, at twenty years of age, I instantly changed to an intense, dedicated, responsible and serious thinking adult who cared very much about his country.

Today, these many decades later, there are few Americans who know of these two shattering instances that happened long ago during the Korean War. Is the loss of these precious lives no more than statistics among many other such statistics? I think they would be mere statistics - if no one remembers and tells of these fine stalwart men and the sacrifices they made.

So, on this coming Memorial Day I will remember them and tell all who will listen about their great sacrifice. I will always remember these wonderful young men and in doing so, my eyes will cloud with tears, a lump will find a home in my throat and I will again be enveloped by their comradeship.

Throughout history, Americans who fell on the battlefield on behalf of the nation were selfless and magnificent. They died so that WE who remain could live the American Dream in liberty, freedom and opportunity. We must always remember these heroes who died in far off lands. After all, they did so that that WE are able to walk in peace down the streets of America safely and not in a war zone.

It is with admiration and gratitude that I honor our fallen heroes on Memorial Day. Marie my wife and I are proud to have both served in the Navy with such patriotic, gallant and great Americans.

I pray that God blesses themand you two men who have posted in this thread last year.

God bless our great country.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  4. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

this and vets day are the only two holidays that bring me to tears.