Memorial/Remembrance Day

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by SwedeSteve, May 19, 2008.

1. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Don't forget what today is meant to be. Make sure you buy a Poppy, and have a moment of silence or say a prayer at 3:00pm local for our Nation's Fallen.

We cherish too, the Poppy red
    That grows on fields where valor led,

It seems to signal to the skies
    That blood of heroes never dies.
    -Moina Michael, 1915

2. They went with songs to the battle, they were young. Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow. They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted, They fell with their faces to the foe. They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them. Lest we forget

3. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

Thanks for the post Swede...and thanks to all those who've served in any way, living and dead, to help establish, protect and promote the freedoms we cherish.

I can't help but feel patriotic emotion when I read those lines of prose for those who gave so much so we could enjoy so much.

Thanks again Swede, and JimKim, for your posts...we will remember them.

4. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Evangelist

Got my poppy today. Bless all our fallen men and women. They are the true heroes we all can look up to...:usa:

5. Too Often

It perturbs me when I hear someone who apparently has no idea what the word means refer to some football or basketball star as a "Hero" on radio or televison. While these people can be great role models too often they are the exact opposite. The true heroes are those men and women who selflessly gave of themselves in defense of our way of life and freedoms, who offered their very lives in our defense! To my fellow veterans I salute you and hold you as brothers and sisters in arms, to those who gave all they had to defend America I humbly revere your sacrifice and honor it and your memory. I pledge to all who have come before me I will continue to do all in my power even unto giving my life to defend what you've already paid for in blood and sacrifice, our Liberty and Freedoms. You are my heroes and God Bless You!

:unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates:​

6. felix cortinas

felix cortinas G&G Newbie

memorial day

most people dont have a clue about what Memorial Day is, to most, just another day off work, they dont think about all our war dead and the price they paid, this is one holiday that should stay on May 30th like it used to be. while they are out on the lake, BBQing, drinking beer,whatever they should take just a few seconds to say a prayer or just think about the sacrifices our boys (and women) have made. I proudly served 35 years ago and my buddies that died are always on my mind.

7. Coeloptera

Coeloptera G&G Newbie

Can't argue with that sentiment. To the real heroes of the world and especially, this day, to those who chose to be heroes through their service.

Stay safe or rest in peace. You've earned it.

- Coeloptera

8. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Guest

Will do!

9. turner

turner Guest

I still live in a military town since my retirement over a decade ago. They, of course, have a "City" celebration, which is wonderful. I choose, however, to drive about an hour away each Memorial Day to observe a very "small town" ceremony at a military cemetary. It's a very nice, respectville ceremony in which the local Boy Scout troop performs the presentation of the colors and Taps is played towards the end. If you've not been to such an observence, I strongly urge you to do so this Monday, or sometime soon. I spent several of my final years in the military overseas and will never forget the Memorial Days I spent at military cemetaries in Europe. Just try, as SwedeSteve has said, to at least take a few moments in your day this Monday to ponder it's meaning. Thanks.