Mess with the gun owner.

Discussion in 'Remington' started by alleyyooper, May 9, 2020.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper G&G Evangelist

Michigan
    My brother in law was looking for a deer rifle for Michigan's rifle zone. Remington had just releasted the Model 7 in 260 Remington (1998) I told him the 260 or the 7mm08 would be my choice.

He went out and got a Model 7 Remington Stainless Plastic in 260 Remington. should be an out standing round for deer and several other critters.
    But a box of 20 rounds today for a non reloader is mid $30.00 range for all bullet weights and many MFG. this is where the rape comes in.

I went with the Model 7 blued with wood stock in 7mm08 and love the rifle, ammo for the non reloader runs in the mid $20.00 a box of 20 range.

I was recently offered the SS 260 Model 7, felt bad as he said ammo is so costly for it and doesn't under stand why. ME EITHER!!!!!!

I may have said i would take the rifle but I am not a fan of tupper wear stocks nor Stainless either really.
    But may rethink, surely a person coud find a nice wood stock for the rifle and being a reloader could cut the ammo cost by a bunch.
    He is asking current book price.

Al

jwrauch, mauser9 and neophyte like this.
  2. Ammo for the 260 is not a big seller, and since the 6.5 Creedmore came out sales are going to drop more for the 260. Not sure why it is, but the calibers they sell the least of cost more.

Case in point, price 5mm Magnum ammo, and it's not reloadable

3. alleyyooper

Michigan
    I have a friend with a 5MM rim fire. ammo cost so much he reloads it.

Not a well knowen process but like 22 rim fire can be done.

Al

big shrek likes this.
  4. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I have a 45-70, 45 Colt, and 450 Marlin rifle.

Ammo for any of these is expensive, and the 45 Colt and derated 45-70 loads can be safely shot at the steel I have.

A lee hand press kit is pretty inexpensive, cranks out quality rounds and easy to use for the rifle rounds (already have a Dillon and scale for the Colt)--as well as uses any commercial dies. So now I don't care as much how much overpriced any rifle round is for them and am happy.

5. Economics 101 - supply and demand. Unless your BIL is interested in learning to reload, he would be well served to sell it and buy a .308 Win.

neophyte, Dutch, Stickman and 2 others like this.
  6. alleyyooper

Michigan
    Why get rid of the 260 and then jump all the way up to a 308?

My self I would rather see him go with a 7mm08. Ligher recoil and will harvest any game in this area.

Al

jwrauch likes this.
  7. OneShotKill

OneShotKill G&G Evangelist

Oklahoma
    Ammo Seek shows 260 ammo today at $22-$26 a box. The Hornady ELD 130 grain, a premium bullet is only about $26.00 from Buds Gun Shop. Unless he shoots a lot he will not be saving money unless he makes a sale where he breaks even on the gun.

Like you I prefer wood stocks. I inherited a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe with work in the custom shop. Pretty gun, pretty wood. So I bought a plastic stock, the old Ramline, to use on it when I hunt. When I pass it on they get both stocks.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/260-remington

8. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

I absolutely love the .260, but then I reload for it!

9. 308 Win cartridges are and will be more available than 7-08.

jwrauch, neophyte and animalspooker like this.
  10. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

.30-30 is still $12.98 a box at Wally World :)

jwrauch, shop tom, neophyte and 3 others like this.
  11. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

he could just get a new barrel for the rifle or have his cut off and re-chambered in 6.5 creedmore.
    both options would be a bit less than a new rifle unless he is thinking of buying one of the 300 dollar wonder rifles.

neophyte likes this.
  12. alleyyooper

Michigan
    No he is just wanting to sell the rifle since he had moved to a shot gun, pistol, ML and straight wall rifle hunting area. that is when he just stopped spending the money on ammo.

Then he had a heart attack and several other heart issues after wards so no longer hunts.

Al

13. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

Just curious, but what is his asking price?

neophyte likes this.
  14. alleyyooper

Michigan
    He said book value. so I suppose 700.00 would be a close price.

funny I have a bunch of loading manuals and couldn't find the 260 in any of them.

I am thinking about buying it if we can work a deal out.

Al

jwrauch and neophyte like this.
  15. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

I don't remember them being that much when new.
    I also recall the first ones having a slow twist rate meant for the lighter 120gr bullets.
    they changed that a few years later following the same steps they took with the 244errr 6mm Remington.

jwrauch and Dutch like this.
  16. alleyyooper

Michigan
    neophyte likes this.
  17. CopperniX

CopperniX G&G Hall Monitor Staff Member

Just want to remind everyone we are a family friendly forum let's not use terms like "Rape the gun owner". Have a great day fellers.

MosinRuger and Dutch like this.
  18. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Evangelist

And I thought 30/06 at $14 a box for 180 gr corlokt was bad in K-Mart (1985)
    The last 30/06 180gr Corlokt I bought was $39/box at the Kotzebue AK Alaska Commercial Company in 2012
    I noticed belted magnum cartridges were well above the $70/box price.
    17HMR is $23/box
    Box of .30 Carbine is $32/box
    That same box 30/30 winchester goes for over $30/box.
    204 Ruger is about $0.74/round

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020 at 1:15 AM
  19. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Colorado

well, they can probably charge pretty much what they want as there probably isnt many other choices!

Rex in OTZ likes this.
  20. alleyyooper

Michigan
    Point is the brass case is simular in size for the 260 as the 7mm08. Primer should be the same for both so cost the same. I can see a slight difference in the amount and type of powder and. aslight difference in the bullet material and construction.
    But I do not sse why the cost of a 260 round is so much more than a 7MM08 like nearly double.

Al