Metal bats

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by AKHunter, May 18, 2008.

1. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

Another family wants to make a manufacturer, retailer and league responsible for the injury their son suffered while playing a sport. An injury neither malicious or criminal,nor neglegent but, an unfortunate and tragic accident during the course of an organzied game.

AP News | EagleHerald | Marinette, Wisconsin/Menominee, Michigan USA

This is the same sort of action the gun grabbers level at the firearm industry. The way legislation has been moving in regards to lawsuits aimed at the firearm industry and similar lawsuits ( many states are legislating against lawsuits aimed at manufacturers of firearms for injuries, etc.
    )I can only hope that congress will take steps to prevent these type of actions agaisnt all consumer industries in the name of common sense.

I wish the family and their son well and I realize they have years of difficulty ahead of them, but this is an accident, in the purest sense, and anyone who lives and breathes should understand that life is inherent with risks. Playing a sport only increases the risk of injury. If a person decides to engage in such an activity they accept the risk to participate and, therefor, need to accept the consequences when things go awry.

2. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Guest

The country need to open season on lawyers. The herd needs thinning.

3. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Guest

Did you know its the cars fault when a drunk driver kills someone..

4. i know a lot about little league baseball and the kid who hit the ball could not have a 31 ounce bat. that is a -3 weight to length ratio and is a high school/college bat and so forth illegal in little league baseball. a 31 inch bat but not a 31 ounce bat

5. KGunner

KGunner G&G Evangelist

Some don't realize this, but baseball is not for the faint of heart. There are tons of ways to get hurt, and normally your only padding is a helmet, and in the field you have nothing. Many people have died in baseball in recent years, and many more injured from balls and bats. I was injured more in baseball than any other sport including wrestling in my younger years.

6. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

While it's a shame that this occurred, any sport has an inherent risk involved. I hate to say it, but accidents can, and do happen, and it is all part of the risk that you take every time you step onto the field, or the court.

7. Coeloptera

Coeloptera G&G Newbie

Life is dangerous. Doing anything can lead to injury and death. People die in the tub, falling down stairs, people have actually been struck by meteors while at home.

Some lawyer convinced a family that they could get a big, fat payday by suing whoever has the deepest pockets. I mean really, no rational person would blame the makers of the bat under normal circumstances, but there's a potential big payout or settlement for this so...off we go.

"Domalewski was playing in a Police Athletic League game, but Little League was sued because the group certifies that specific metal bats are approved for - and safe for - use in games involving children."

Yeah, they're pretty much shotgunning by naming as many defendants as possible, hoping some of them will settle rather than go to court.

I'm not so sure it's just the fault of lawyers. Our society has gone pretty far out of its way to destroy the concept of "an accident". It's as though we're being conditioned to think that someone is always directly to blame for any injury. Juries who allow cases like this to generate payouts are also to blame. It doesn't help that lawyers don't like smart people on juries. I pretty much have never and likely will never serve on a jury because I give answers like "No, I've never fallen for no reason - there's always been some proximate cause."

It's rough, but unfortunately, sometimes you just draw a bad hand.

Something else is very odd though, about the timeline.

A man started CPR on him almost immediately, the paramedics arrived "within minutes" yet his brain was without oxygen for 15-20 minutes? How does that work? Something seems very strange about that rather long period of O2 deprivation. So long as the paramedics were giving him CPR en route and had an oxygen mask on him, his bloodstream should have been picking up the oxygen from his lungs and the CPR should have been pushing it to his brain. There's very little that would make that not work. If you keep his blood moving and keep breathing for him before they get there, in most cases brain damage isn't severe, or even present.

The damage we're seeing here looks like O2 dep long enough to damage his motor cortex, it seems far too catastrophic to be just his cerebellum. I can't even make a guess as to his cognitive functions from the article, but if it was bad enough to blow his motor cortex, likely some of the rest of his cerebrum was also damaged.

Just struck me as odd.

- Coeloptera

8. cubbieman

cubbieman Guest

aren't little league bats supposed to be -5? the bat I have now is 34 inch/31 ounce, it would have to be one strong *** 12 year old to use the same bat

little league with wood bats wouldn't work

9. bellx1

bellx1 G&G Newbie

i doubt the batter was using a 31 oz bat, more likley a 31 inch, 21 oz.
    anyway, accidents happen, and it isn't the manufacturers fault. the chances of being hit right between heartbeats, and in the correct part of the chest are very slim, but there are protective chestplates ( worn under the shirt ) that are supposed to prevent injury to the chest. they're only plastic so i don't know how practicle they are.

10. While I disagree with the rush to sue a manufacturer, because as a parent of a son who plays baseball, and a parent that's helped coach, been an assistant coach and the past 2 years the coach, I do have a concern with the metal bats.

THE BALL DOES COME OFF OF ALUMINUM BATS MUCH FASTER THAN WOODEN. They are purposely designed to do so. That's what I disagree with. I don;t have that big of a problem with aluminum bats, but the fact they make them so the ball flexes, or springs or whatever you want to call it, off the bats, is what kind of bothers me, both as a parent, and a coach...

My son, who pitches, and since he started pitching in the league at the mustang level, 9 and 10 yrs. old, he's has had a minimum of 5 baseballs come straight back at him. So I've experienced the fear first hand. Thankfully, his reflex has saved his hide all five instances. There was a 6th which struck his ankle, which made him seriously think if he wanted to pitch any more or not. For what it's worth, he didn't let it stop him. Sometimes, as the parent, I wish it had. As a coach however, of course I'm glad it didn't, he's got a good arm. lol But he's 14 and scrawny and now in/at the pony level. And some 14 yr. olds are as big as me. And the fear, as a parent again, of seeing my son drop lifeless from a baseball coming off one of those bigger boys bats at what, 100+ miles an hour, gets me concerned.

I'm not sure if any hear have researched it or not, but it is a known fact the ball springs off aluminum bats compared to wooden. Let's face it, they are very HI-TECH bats.

So with this said, I kind of wish they'd play with wooden bats. I mean after all, if they stay with the sport and make it to the pro level, that's what they'll end up using anyhow. Pros don't use them because of the speed at which the ball comes back at them or off the bat. I do not feel their lives should be any more safe guarded then my or any other child's . That's the way I see it anyhow. Sure, I could not let my child play the game. But I also know you can't let fear rule your life.

I do disagree with suing the manufacturer because I look at it this way. Most know the risks before participating. But having seen first hand a child take one off the bat, I couldn't begin to share the horror that runs through a coach, let alone the/a parent seeing a child drop lifeless to the ground.

Scoff at the lawsuits, but please, don't scoff at the seriousness of a parents concern.

11. Why don't they sue the kid that swung the bat. oh wait it's not the kids fault he swung the bat, it's the bats fault for swinging it's self.

12. In my area, high school aluminum bats are -3. I'm not sure of the exact bat requirements for our league play, because our park district calls it Little League baseball, but IS NOT affiliated with the "Little League". If it were, most couldn't afford to play.

But I believe, and don't quote me on this, pony level is -5, bronco is -7 and mustang is -8,-9 or -10? In our "league", if you will, if they want to use a wooden bat, there's no rule against it. I know for a fact high school is -3 though. If they want to use a -3 at pony or a -7 in pony, again, there are no rules against that either. Some parents move their kids up. Some couldn't swing the bat if they required them in pony to swing a -5.

I'd also disagree with the statement that "wooden bats" "wouldn't work" in "little league". I think, know and believe they wood. You'd just get less home runs as they'd actually have to be made by pure strength rather then a little strength and a lot of bat design. To each their own. But look at all this from a parents point of view, especially if you have never had a child play.

13. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

I went to an after-school daycare center for a few months in the early 70's and we learned all sorts of stuff like archery, tennis, horseback riding, and yes, baseball. I ended up busting the athletic director's kneecap with a line drive off of a wood bat, but he didn't sue anyone over it. I also nailed him a couple of other times in the legs as I had a knack for sending the ball right back at him when he was pitching.
    I'm sorry the kid got hurt, but suing over a metal bat is like suing because the ground is too hard, or the sun causes cancer, etc. I got pushed off of a large slide when I was a kid and ended up straddling a pipe brace on the way down. The results were NOT pretty but, looking back now, I see that I should've sued because the slide wasn't braced with rabbit fur-covered, foam-rubber legs so they wouldn't injure my tender young 'nads. :rolleyes:

14. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Let's face it, this lawsuit is not about baseball, or any degree of danger in sports. It's all about two parents who are hurting terribly, and rightfully so, and a lawyer who is on the trail of deep $pockets hopefully for a career type of potential out-of-court settlement. Most likely, the lawyer only gets paid if the case is settled.

Anyone who's talked at any length with a lawyer should realize they're not gonna sue someone with no means to pay up. That would be wasting their time. They're gonna look hard for a corportation with deep enough assets to pay a huge sum which many courts in recent years have awarded plaintiffs.

Yes, it's all about $money, and greedy lawyers.

15. Troy

Troy G&G Enthusiast

smart bats, we need smart bats. that would put an end to this senseless violence. now we just gotta program these smart bats to take out the lawyers instead of some poor little kid.

16. I really hate lawsuits with no merit. We have a local case very close to the person in your post. A woman at a highschool baseball game got hit with a flying bat and lost an eye. That is tragic and I feel for her but it happens.
    The part that makes me mad is she sues everyone and their mother for her injury. Here is a list as far as I can remeber
    1 the school where it happend because it was a school event and their field
    2 the other school because their coach didnt check to see if the kids hands were sweaty before letting him bat or something to that extent.
    3 the fense company for not making a fense that could stop a high flying bat.
    4 the parents and kid of the family who lost controle of the bat and hit her.
    5 the bat company for not making a safe product I guess she expects the bat to be made out of nerf foam with a handle coated in super industrial strength glue to stop it from being let go.
    and I think she had a few other people named in her law suit for which she demands over 3 million dollars for loosing an eye at a base ball game.
    If lawyers can pull this bs over a eye and a bat and the courts see them as legit cases. I can only imagin the what corrupt power high quacks they call judges would alow to happen to our rights.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  17. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

thomasbrooks07...that's exactly what I meant in my post above. Greedy lawyers have gotten too many people believing they should sue in cases without legal merit. Lawyers chase cases like these by advertising on TV, and any other means where they might find a situation where they think they can win a suit.

By this I'm not ruling out legal responsibility a person, company or corportation has in cases with definite merit. Nuisance awards, though, are a waste of courts time, and taxpayers money.

But...with plenty of courts making exorbitant awards, the legal watchdogs need to tighten down on their standards of indivudual lawyers.

18. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Evangelist

Its a wonder Stanly hadent gotten sued for makeing hammers that you can hit your thumb with "**** shingle nails anyway!"