close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Metallic cartridges

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, May 30, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I've had the crazy idea of making metallic cartridges on a lathe for single shot shotguns using rubber, plastic, or complicated metal projectiles (hence the use of a single shot, in case it would be too long to cycle, or would have a pointed tip. I could imagine one making a flare, emergency rope, or one big nasty anti-bear missile. Any ideas, opinions, or reasons why this is crazy?

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

There is plenty of precedent for this. The Law Enforcement community has used large rubber projectiles for crowd/riot control, and there are those 12 gauge emergency flares.
    Just be careful, and don't over-pressure the gun. A larger projectile means more pressure! (Had a kid at the range last year shoot his smokepole with the ramrod in the bore! Kicked like you wouldn't believe.)

3. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I like those beanbag jobs...That's what I like about the 12 gauge, versatility like you wouldn't believe. My dad uses dental floss and fishing weights to repel bears in Alaska.
    I want to try some of those Aguila shorties in my Winchester.

4. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Gofor it!! Make some crazy stuff and tell us how they work.

5. MarkII 22

MarkII 22 G&G Newbie

Just dont kill your self!:hmmm: :eek: :rolleyes: :insane:

6. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

I'm wondering if the 12Gage Flares can be shot in the 20" long gun, my concern is if the plastic fouling and burning flare will damage the inside of the barrel (probably not).
    Will it be harder to clean?

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

Also Mossberg has a kit to shoot a line from your shotgun