close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mideast Shootings

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Bryan Williams, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams G&G Newbie

I was just watching Fox News today and they showed a bunch of gunmen fighting each other. There were a bunch of SKS's and one firing full auto. Its kinda like the Time magazine cover, SKS fans will want to watch.

2. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Bryan I have never heard of a SKS that was Factory made to fire full auto. Anything is possible though.
    In my experience when guys have put 30rnd mags on sks's and shoot them as fast as they can, somewhere between the third and fifth magazine the wooden handguard on the gas tube will burst in to flames, also lighting the stock on fire. The SKS was not designed to take the heat generated by full auto fireing. the materials used in the construction wont withstand the rapid heating and cooling for very long. I saw a guy anneal the steel in his Norinco SKS when he got it so hot the handguard started burning and he threw it into a stream. he shot another magazine through it after it cooled and then noticed that the reciever was cracked and there was NEW wear(real bad) in the reciever floor. the temper of the steel was gone from his heating/cooling of the weapon. This may have been a fluke or just the laws of physics.
    The SKS is a fine weapon. as it was designed.
    as a full auto machine gun it cannot shed the heat .
    In almost all applications IMHO the SKS is great .

3. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams G&G Newbie

they didnt make them full auto, but you can do some filing to make them that way. A gunsmith was talking to me about how he's seen people bring in SKS's they had filed then had melted the barrel for re-barreling. I've NEVER shot more than a 30 rd clip through it as fast as I can and it was pretty dang hot.
    You are right, SKS's are mighty fine rifles.

4. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

The Chinese made a few different types of SKS's that were capable of full auto fire. The type 68 (or in China, type 63) is covered by Peter Kokalis in the book "Weapons Tests and Evaluations", which is a reprint of SOF articles. The type 68 has a selector switch on the right side of the trigger guard and is capable of semi-auto and full auto fire. It has a detachable 20 rd. magazine and can also be loaded with stripper clips. The book "SKS" by Duncan Long goes into a thorough examination of the different SKS variants and explains even more about the select fire SKS's. There are two SKS's that were imported to the US I am aware of that take the AK mag: SKS type 84, which is a military preban weapon and has a bayonet, and the SKS -D which was both pre-ban (straight stock) and post ban (thumbhole stock). Neither carried the bayonet that I am aware of and both were made strictly for export. All variations were semi-auto.
    There has been much discussion for years about the "full auto" conversion on the SKS. This is both stupid and illegal. Any person who does so risks serious prison time because the Justice Dept. will make an example out of anyone they catch even conspiring to do such a modification to any semi-auto. Any person who does such risks slam fires and the chance of a dangerous, uncontrollable weapon discharging at will. Ask any person who got a damaged or worn SKS since '88 what it's like when the sear slips and they "turn over" spilling everything at will. Not fun! It is not worth even discussing. Besides, the SKS is a fine rifle that was originally built as a semi-auto in the first place. No need to risk arrest, prosecution, injury, or death over a "cool" modification to one's SKS. Keep it safe and legal.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2002
  5. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Found this: Here is a picture of an SKS type 84 pre-ban. It was made at factory 316 in China during the 60's. A true military semi-auto SKS, it was cut to paratrooper length for export and resupplied with a smaller bayonet. The SKS type 84's had a button on top of the bolt that locked the bolt back manually when changing magazines.