Midlife Crisis??

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by big shrek, Oct 23, 2020.

1. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

At first it was in response to my wife saying that
    "You will not have a motorcycle if you are married to me!"
    So after a couple months, I went out traded an AR15 for one ;)
    Still married...fun watching her cave on that one...

Two years later, been fiddling with it and tweaking it as I go...
    picked up a parts bike for $80 and moved parts off it to the good one...
    slapped on a Vetter Bullet fairing/windshield and tested it today...
    went 110MPH down the Interstate...

Vetter Bullet fairing from the Vetter Site.
    Mine's black...I'll have to shoot some pics tomorrow.
    1985-Vetter-Bullet-200.jpg

Mind you, it's a VT500C...some folks say that a 500cc ain't enough bike...
    well, it's enough. Anything with 54-BHP that can haul a 6'3 gorilla
    faster than 100MPH definitely has oats.
    Had a Slipstream Hellfire windshield on it...max speed 98MPH with that.
    67102145_2379089105517031_8456150934869770240_n.jpg

The messed up part...the music from The HU's song "Wolf Token"
    is playing in my head while I'm ripping down the interstate...
    Not the "featuring Papa Roach" version, either...the Original.
    I'm gonna point out...that for a Mongolian Band...they're Conservative
    to the Extreme...if the Left ever bothered to read their lyrics I don't think
    that they'd be so popular ;)

Their song "Yuve Yuve Yu" pretty much places them as Trump Supporters
    Same goals, but they want all that for Mongolia ;)
    Best part is, their music sounds like a Scottish War Chant...
    the Horsehead Fiddle cadence is unmistakable...
    makes one wonder how far a'rovin those early Scots travelled...

Also think it'd be perfect music to drive a tank by...
    played thru the loudspeakers at full tilt while in Enemy Territory.
    fillerup.jpg

So I'm probably having a midlife crisis...and dealing with it at Buttnekkid Speeds
    with War Music...sounds about right for an Old Phart.
    Maybe that's why I wanna build a truly fast airplane with four jet engines??
    Fighter style, cockpit for two inline...maybe three...
    a real screamer with zero purpose but to go fast and rattle windows...
    do a few airshows over the beach for giggles & grins...

cjleete, Jack Ryan, jerry and 11 others like this.
  2. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Looks a LOT like the YAMAHA Virago I owned in 1996.

neophyte, ChaZam, TXplt and 1 other person like this.

3. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

I had one of those, a black '82 XV750.
    It was a great cruiser, the only headache was having to put
    a new starter/rebuilt starter on it every other year.
    Freaky little 500cc Honda Shadow has almost the same BHP...lol
    The '83-'85 Shadow 750 version even more...

Had one of these too...the XZ550 Vision...
    xz550.jpg

Gorgeous bike...great power...but had a fatal flaw with the connecting rods...
    you could race the dang thang...but it'd pop those rods like crazy.
    Sounded like a Ferrari :)
    rebuilt the engine 5 times...after the last rebuild sold it and have missed it
    ever since...don't miss the rebuilds, but the ride & sound was EPIC!!

Jack Ryan, Ten Man, neophyte and 5 others like this.
  4. noelekal

noelekal G&G Evangelist

Good for you Big Shrek!

I gotta ask though. Mid life crisis or entering one's dotage?

Reason I ask is that Mrs. noelekal and I bought a new Hemi Challenger last year (in our dotage) after spending well over a quarter of a century in not one, but two different Buick Roadmasters and a Cadillac Fleetwood which was 23 years old when we finally threw in the towel on continuing to run it.

We loved great big American sedans, an affectation which makes the Challenger challenging at times.

5. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Yes sir, that's getting along pretty doggone good for 500cc.

6. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I envy people who can ride motorcycles. I can barely manage a bicycle, and I have never understood how the shifting is done when I don't see anything on the bike that looks like the clutch pedal I am used to in a car or a truck.

rando, TXplt and neophyte like this.
  7. Just remember, new hobbies and vehicles are far cheaper for a midlife crisis than messing around behind your spouse's back. :)

8. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Bodies have been found in burials in Mongolia, centuries old. Caucasian features and hair, clothed in Celtic style tartan. Some did indeed go arovin'.

BigEd63, big shrek, rando and 4 others like this.
  9. I was a 40 year old street punk. My midlife crisis was giving up the wild ways and buying a new 4 cylinder car and being concerned with fuel economy. I'm not making this up..

There's 3 motorcycles in the shed behind me, 2 bicycles. The competition Enduro bike gets used, the road race bike not so much ( my leathers shrunk dramatically :oops: ) I ride a single cylinder 250 Honda to work.

A co-worker grinned at me as i was leaving the car park the other day so I clutched it into a wheelie :p luckily I saw the company CEO in time and rolled out of it.

My kids, well except for my eldest son who's awaiting sentencing, are very conservative. They must belong to the milk man, the youngest is smart as a whip so it could be true.

He's like dude you're nearly 60, Hooligan's shouldn't be senior citizens. He shouldn't ever go to a reunion then, last time I was full noise-ing a fully restored early 80's dirt bike down a country lane at 2am at the behest of the owner.

Jack Ryan, BigEd63, big shrek and 7 others like this.
  10. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Made the decision to give up booze for my midlife crisis and found out I had lots of money for motorcycles and guns.

I guess that ain't bad.

Although I didn't perhaps give up the habit of stashing bottles; it just morphed to guns and ammo.

At least I'll live to shoot them. At least if I can remember where I put them.

Jack Ryan, Gray Wolf, mdj696 and 8 others like this.
  11. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Dunno.....

I think it's the messing around in front of his or her back (or when they turn around unexpectedly) that gets a person into trouble.

Although that might be like saying it's not the fall that kills ya. It's the sudden stop.

12. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

Your youngest should meet some of us over 70 folks around here.

BigEd63, big shrek, rando and 4 others like this.
  13. The way I see it, if a senior citizen has what it takes to be a hooligan, more power to them!

14. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

My "mid life crisis" was over 20 years ago! LOL!! I got married, again.

15. I gave up the street bikes, Mustang, Firebird, and 442's once I got married, and the kids started popping out. My wife kept her CBR 900RR until the 1st pregnancy, then I took over the daily duty of riding it to work, and I kept my last 442 as long as I could.
    But I've really had the itch for another muscle car, and was on line the other night doing the build and price a new C8 Corvette. I keep thinking about another project car, but time and space are a little tight. Maybe I'll get myself a retirement gift in the next 3-5 years when I hang up my steel toed boots for the last time.
    My wife still wants a Mustang GT500 or another sport bike.:D:D

Jack Ryan, Gray Wolf, BigEd63 and 6 others like this.
  16. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Always liked those Shadows. Bought my last bike when I was 50. V-45 Magna. Shaft drive which was nice. Rode that for 9 years and sold it for 200 less than I paid.

17. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Heck, shifting a bike is easier!
    I learned how to shift a motorcycle long before I figured out
    how to shift a manual in a car. The old ten-speed bicycle shifter helped.

Still can't do a three on the tree shifter...
    but I can zoom thru an 18-gear three-stick semi! Go Figure.

neophyte, TXplt, BigEd63 and 3 others like this.
  18. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I got my first motorcycle at sixteen. Spent the whole first day riding around the perimeter of our three acre yard. Hardest thing at first was learning to use the clutch and throttle. Shifting was easy.
    Later went through several cars, all automatics. Til one summer working at U-haul. Schools/universities were opening, college kids returning to town. So many danged trailers and trucks coming in! We quickly ran out of parking space. So we ended up contracting for parking spaces at other places. We had to drive the 24' trucks loaded with small trailefs, each towing a large trailer loaded with small trailers, to another location across town. I had never driven a big truck, nor manual shift! A couple old hands took time to teach a couple newbies to drive them, I said WTF and climbed in and took off! I could only find second and fourth gears, but I got them there safely. By the end of the day, I was a seasoned driver.
    Later bought a Mazda truck with manual shift. It was so smooth and easy compared to those U-haul trucks!
    After 29 years off bikes, bought my second (and last) bike, a KLR650 dualsport bike. You know the old saying, "like riding a bicycle, you never forget", I had no trouble.

Jack Ryan, big shrek, Cyrano and 2 others like this.
  19. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

My only experience on a motorcycle was a near disaster. A buddy at the base had just brought his cycle from home & didn't yet have post tags for it. He asked me if I could keep it at my place a few days, until he got insurance & tags. I said yes.

We lived in a little 2 room cottage on the landlady's back lot & her driveway ended at our front door. He'd assured me it didn't leak oil/grease, so we parked it on the concrete near my door.

Our landlady was really very nice, but kinda weird. She didn't like the idea, even though it was completely out of her way & I told her it wouldn't dirty up her driveway. Anyway, she called a service station where she traded & they agreed to take it & would lock it up in their bay at night.

I decided to drive it there. Mistake!! :eek: My experience had been with motor scooters (Cushman) with gas feed the opposite of a motor bike! I got it started & headed down the driveway. Near the street, intending to throttle down, turned it the wrong way!! Luckily no cars were coming, as I shot across the street, jumped the curb & ended up with the bike on it's side in a neighbor's yard. Nice soft grass landing, so no damage to the bike.:) I did make it to the service station, about 4 blocks away & breathed a sigh of relief!:p

big shrek, TXplt, Gray Wolf and 2 others like this.
  20. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

I bought a new Honda V65 Magna in 1984, magenta red and put the clear tall windshield on it as well as a set of soft saddle bags. By far the BEST motorcycle I have ever owned. Traded it off with 14K miles on it and still looking like new in 1988.
    Over the years I have rode some goldwings and my last motorcycle was a new 2000 HD Roadking FLHPI. Compared to the V65 that Roadking barely rated as a motorcycle, heavy and way underpowered, but a decent piddle around bike. I sold it off just before two wheelers with HD on them took a price nose dive.

And as much as I would really like to have a newer hemi Challenger (got to have the 6 speed manual in it too, no more mopar automatics for me) I think my next vehicle will be a truck, and not a passenger vehicle truck wanna be thing. Not that I like the looks of them all that much but the Dodge 5500 series with a manual trans would maybe pass as a truck but are stupid priced even for ones with 250K miles on them. Might be down the road a ways when the prices fall a bit on them.

big shrek, neophyte and TXplt like this.