Mil Spec Interchangeability

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Sep 10, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Ok, so I see Ballester Molinas clones out there that I assume are not interchangeable at all with the standard 1911, and then there are the Llamas that look like the real thing and smell like it, but I've heard different things about their interchangeablity. So what is interchangeable? I'm looking for the lowest priced 1911 that will accept generally available replacement parts including a 400 Cor Bon conversion barrel. Appearance doesn't matter.

By the way, am I the only person who dislexified Ballester Molina into Molester Ballerina?

2. BattleRifleG3

I just saw a "1911 Deluxe Model" in FAC's catalog for $260 dealer cost. Anyone know what in the world it is and where it fits into the array of things?

Also, I'm sure there are plenty of used 1911s out there, and I'd like to know which models would have what I want? Just in case someone's letting a $500 piece go for $250.

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Rock Island armory clones should fill that category

4. bowser

bowser Guest

Colt Sistemas are carbon copies built in Argentina. They are 100% interchangeable with the real Colt 1911, and you can find them for around 300 in good shape. JLD Enterprises had them last time I looked. If you can't find their site, their product list is linked to www.cruffler.com.

5. PAPA G

some colt parts interchange on the Molina's. barrels, recoil springs magazines, maybe some more. i have read good reports on them, and some accessorized for carry use. its probably one of the great bargains around.

6. BattleRifleG3

The barrels on Molinas interchange? If the mags do as well, I think that may be the one. What about Llamas?

7. PAPA G

i think the only interchange on the LLama is the mags, don't know for sure. 1911forum.com is the place for all things 1911, and related 1911 types. peruse the other sites, and read what others think of the B-M.

8. boogalou

boogalou Guest

For Llama parts that interchange, check out this link - http://www.bersa-llama.com/cat_maxi45.html

The following parts on the B/M interchange with the 1911.

Barrel, mag, barrel bushing recoil spring, spring guide & plug.
    The 1911 firing pin & spring can be modified to fit the Ballester.
    The Ballester trigger and hammer group are of the Spanish Star design and totally different. The slide stop will not work either. The colt extractor could be made to work by a competant gunsmith but probably wouldn't be worth it.

9. BattleRifleG3

Thanks, Boogalou, that really helps. Now I know what NOT to buy, and what to still consider. I'll be going to a gun show tommorrow so I'll be able to see what's out there and inspect a few specimens.

10. rhett

rhett Guest

The BM's are great for the price. Had one in the 60's and have had another one since 1985. New sights and grips-my choice. Never a burp. Like the energizer bunny just keeps on going. I have a Colt and a Systema Colt and just got a RIA Compact .45
    ( Another good one for the price $370.00 out the door )
    Regards,

Rhett

11. BattleRifleG3

Right now I'm aiming for full size and $300. Gonna look at specimens tommorrow. It'll be a race between 1911 and Taurus/Beretta.