Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone with relaoding experience who can answer this.

While on Ebay looking for 45acp brass I came across several auctions that had brass and said they seperated out the millitary brass.

Quesion One- Is
Military
brass not very desirable for reloading?
Question Two- If it is not very good, then why?

Note: I should let you all know I have just started reloading.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
the issue with military brass is the crimped primers. ive never had an issue with it in .45acp. now 9mm with crimped primers is a whole nother story.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Affects of crimped primers?

Thanks for responding.
How does the crimped brass affect the reloading process? Are they hard to press out? Or do the not accept new primers very well?

This reply is for anyone.

thanks

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,582 Posts
I haven't had much trouble with crimped primers in .45 ACP either. RCBS and Dillon among others I'm sure make a tool to swage them to propper size. I have my own technique if they are not to bad. Some will banish me to reload h_ll, I take my debur tool and slightly champfer the crimp portion. It don't take much.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have never had a problem with 45 military brass. Military rifle brass is a different story. I know several manufacturers make tooling for crimped primer removal. I personally like the Lee tool which consists of a punch set and base to drive out the primer. I then remove the crimp with a primer pocket reamer and use a RCBS swage tool on my O press to open the pocket.
I know your question was for pistol brass, but it's good to know before buying any military brass what one must do.
Military brass has a stronger web for gas rifle extraction. Sometimes commercial brass has the head pulled off during extraction. I anneal the case necks before sizing. I take a metal pan filled with about an inch of water, heat the case neck until red, then tip it over in the water. The softening of the case neck reduces the problem of neck splits when seating a new bullet.
It's worth it to buy military brass from Midway with the crimp and primer removed.
Indy

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the info. Iwill purchase my 45ACP brass accordingly.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Also, the military case holds less powder than a commercial case because the web is thicker, like Indy stated about the military rifle cases.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I resized some military '06 brass to 270 Winchester once - that stuff was great because it was so rugged. I lost count of how many reloads I got out of it. The wall thickness was greater than commercial, so the net internal case volume was no doubt smaller: this would be a possible safety issue for people who wish to load to the max since higher pressures would likely result.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I now use, exclusively, Winchester primers and they seem more forgiving in the crimped pockets.

I don't ream crimped pockets and I have very little problems with handfun rounds. Perhaps one in fifty might give me problems.

I have more problems with the crimped rifle cases more than anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts