close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Military Ammo Reloading Info

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by shockwalter, May 30, 2002.

1. shockwalter

shockwalter G&G Newbie

Does anyone know where to find information on reloading 30-06 mititary rounds (AP, API and Tracer). Info on powder to use and grain weight would be awesome.:assult: :assult:

2. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

For the AP and API you can use any standard 30-06 table. For the tracers though, I've been told you need to use the surplus mil spec powder. Otherwise the primer in the tracer will not light consistantly. Also remember that the tracer rounds most likely won't been seen until after 100yds or so. So if you are on a 100yd range, don't bother shooting them.

3. Because of the way the rounds are loaded and the massive numbers, the type of powder used is probably not available to the average person. You'll hear the same thing from Win., Rem., etc., if you ask them what powder they use. I think you are going to find the tracer priming can be corrosive and damage your barrel.
    Many ranges are not going to let you shoot the types of bullets you want to reload. The AP and API can pierce armor plate they may use for a backstop. The API is incendiary and can start fires. The tracers can also start fires.

4. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

The Powder can be bought from Talon as well as others, Talon specialize in de-milling mil spec ammo. When you go to buy the powder, it will tell you what commercial data is most compataible, and you can use that data. Of course you'll need to work up the rounds slowly, 1/5 a grain at a time. We've had the argument that tracers can cause damage to the barrel before, I am one who say's they will not, but in any case, firing 100 or so over the life of the barrel surely won't. If you get the powder, and need data for it, let me know I have a few cross reference books here to help.

5. 06-AP load

As a member of the California National Guard Rifle Team I had available issue ball and armor piercing ammo and felt that the AP would be more accurate because of the longer bullet. I was given thousands of rounds to practice with and the Guard cut orders fro me to get out of High School to attend matches all over the State.

I pulled bullets to meter the powder more accurately and found that they were consistent at 50 grain of 4895 at 2700 fps as stated. So shot the heck out of them.

6. shockwalter

shockwalter G&G Newbie

Thanks to everyone who replied. I planned on using IMR 4895 for the API and the Tracers. I'm gonna go with 50 to 51 grains to insure positive ignition of the tracer element. Thanks Mike for the concern but I have about 100 acres in northern WI. with 10 foot wide earth berms for backstops. 30-06 API rounds are quite destructive if you don't have the right backstop. The last original Lake City 30-06 M14 API ammo headstamped 1952 that I had would slice thru 3/4 inch steel plate a 120 yards and then detonate with a bright white flash that seemed to be about a foot in diameter. Very expensive ammo to shoot but way cool. If anyone else has more info, please pass it on. Thanks.