Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research on different mods and accessories for my ranch rifle and stumbled upon some info about buying a trigger to separate the trigger sear and secondary sear just enough to fire 1 round when you pull the trigger and 1 round when you release the trigger. I have no intentions of getting one or even modifying my existing trigger group since I buy my ammo and can't afford to waste it. Not to mention I have no use for it. I was wondering if anyone on here knows if it's legal or not. I have found a "letter" from the BATFE saying it's OK, but it's also dated 20 January 2004. I'm not sure if it's still in effect or not??? The link is below, you have to sign up to see it. (don't worry, it's free)

THR

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Well it would completely be useless for hunting, as most states dont allow a gun to be used that can fire more than 1 round with 1 pull of the trigger. Also, for me, that is too close to the line as far as batfe is concerned. Now I wouldnt mind firing it a few times though!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
35,211 Posts
Considering the BATFE has gone after people for slam-firing SKS rifles, I would not put that trigger into anything I owned, BATFE letter notwithstanding. Remember, BATFE is a regulatory agency. The bastards can change the rules any time they please for any reason -- or no reason. Get one of those "hellfire" wind-up systems that clamp onto the trigger guard if you feel you simply have to have a higher rate of fire than you can get from simply pulling the trigger really fast over and over again.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I wouldn't risk it. As it was pointed out, the bastids at the ATF can, and will, change the rules simply because they feel like it. Interesting concept and I'm sure it would be really fun to shoot, but I wouldn't want one. It's sad that we can't reward ingenuity like this out of fear that Big Brother might change his fickle mind and come for you in the night. Off to the MiniTruth...

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
I'd not mess with it.

Like has ben said the ATF has reversed it self amy times on these "rulings".

Send your trigger group to someone like Clark for a trigger job and then learn where the "sweet spot" is by doing some shooting.

With a light trigger and the above you can get real close to full auto rates with a Mini-14, AR or AK.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand the laws and have zero intentions of making it full auto. I play with full auto all the time at work since I'm a gunsmith in the Army and I don't have to pay for the ammo. So full auto isn't that big of a deal to me. I was just wondering if it was legal like some of the info I've found says. Like yall have pointed out the BATFE has and will go back on their word and change their minds. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of it. It just shows how low IQ someone has when they start out saying "get a staple and cut the leg off and shove it right here, it'll jam a little but it works"

·
Registered
122 Posts
I didnt make myself clear but I looked into this conversion in the past and videos such as [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhuQOZSwFvY]Mini-14 two-shot staple conversion - YouTube[/ame] and other things I have read stated someone actualy sold staples on gunbroker to do this modification. The reason it jams is the same reason a bread tie wont make an Ak full auto the hammer will ride along with the bolt causing a lite strike to occur.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They claim it's 100% legal but as you can see in the video they guy has his face completely covered, hhhmmmmm...... kinda makes you wonder

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
they are called Binary Triggers. They are made for several different models. Some states these are banned and some not. Ohio does not ban these. I have installed one on an AR 15 for someone and a friend of mine installed one on his Ruger .22 Charger. Very fun! Wastes ammo? Sure! but fun. But Franklin Armory sells those for around $300. I could buy another gun for that. You have to be very careful not to forget that if you release the trigger, without switching it back, it will fire. It does have a switch for safe, semi auto and binary.

·
Registered
15,511 Posts
they are called Binary Triggers. They are made for several different models. Some states these are banned and some not. Ohio does not ban these. I have installed one on an AR 15 for someone and a friend of mine installed one on his Ruger .22 Charger. Very fun! Wastes ammo? Sure! but fun. But Franklin Armory sells those for around $300. I could buy another gun for that. You have to be very careful not to forget that if you release the trigger, without switching it back, it will fire. It does have a switch for safe, semi auto and binary.
Spot on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts