close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mini 14 problem

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Robert S., May 1, 2002.

1. Robert S.

Robert S. G&G Newbie

I have a pre-ban Mini 14 that I had the barrel cut down and a muzzle brake installed, everything was supposed to be great..... but after going out yesterday and firing a few clips I found that the fired shells aren't ejecting properly, the bolt is only coming about half way back. Sometimes I had to manually eject after every shot. Nothing was done to the gas block assembly, someone told me that maybe I needed to have it drilled. Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. You probably need to open up the gas port some. Whenever you cut back the barrel on a gas-operated rifle, the gas system will need tuning.

By the way, how did you get the Mini to use clips? Mine would only use magazines. ;)

3. Robert S.

Robert S. G&G Newbie

Hey Phil, thanks for the reply. Parden my ignorance, but how would I open up the gas port? Oh, and next time I'll use mags.(lol)
    Thanks

4. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I think the ability to feed from strippers would give the Mini a competitive edge... Actually, Ruger lobbied for restrictions on detachable magazines because the Mini could be adapted for a fixed mag better than his competitors (AR-15s and AKs). That's what's behind banning pistol grips and detachable mags. The Minis don't need them, while ARs and AKs do. Ruger could have just taken a step back in the direction of the M1 Garand after tweaking the laws to favor his rifles over the others.
    And now you know... the rest of the story.

But a mini that could feed through strippers and detachable magazines would be nice. Like the M14, some FALs, and SKSs.

5. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Before doing anything drastic, make sure your gas port is not partially blocked. It seems to me that a slight reduction in barrel length should not have resulted in such a huge decrease in pressure at the piston. If you kept the barrel legal, I would suspect a blocked port. You may want to disassemble the block. Check for any chips from the cutting and tapping, and make sure it is aligned.

Last edited: May 2, 2002
  6. RE: Opening the gas port...

Klaus is giving good advice here. You want to check the port before altering it. It is under the two-piece hunk of steel at the forward end of the stock. Before removing it, mark on the barrel with a pencil where the leading edge of the gas block is. This way, you will have correct alignment when you reassemble. If you don't get correct alignment, you will have even more problems (ask me how I know).

If the gas port is not blocked, you need to measure it. You can use drill bits to do this. Use numbered bits, not fractional inch bits. Find the bit that will just barely insert in the hole , then use the next size up to drill out the hole. Reassemble, making sure the port is lined up in the gas block, and test. If going up one size does not do the trick, drop Ed Vanden Berg a note at Vanden Berg Customs and ask his advice. He's the only man I know that can make a Mini worth what you paid for it. I wouldn't go two sizes up without checking the entire rifle out.

7. CHECK TO SEE IF THE GAS BLOCK ALIGNMENT PIN IS STILL THERE AND IN PLACE
    DANA

8. WHAT I SHOULD HAVE SAID WAS GAS PORT BUSHING PART # KMSO2500
    DANA

9. Robert S.

Robert S. G&G Newbie

Thanks for the replys, time to see if I can remedy this.