close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mini 30 vs 77/308

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by practical, May 1, 2002.

1. practical

practical G&G Newbie

I'm in the market for a .308. I figure it's the most cost effective high power rifle since surplus ammo is readily and cheaply available. I'm also a sucker for rugers. If I ever find one that doesn't work perfectly, then maybe I'll change my mind.

The question is, Mini 30 or 77/308? I value accuracy out to 250-300yds the most. I am pretty confident the 77/308 will get the job done better than necessary at that distance. Will the Mini 30? What's the MOA listed/observed on them? The whole reason I ask is I'd rather have the semi than the bolt, but that criteria is second to accuracy.

2. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Not clear if you know this by your post, but the Mini-30 is chambered in 7.62x39mm Soviet, not .308 Win (7.62x51mm NATO). Second, the Mini-30 is known for it's innaccuracy. There places that can accurize them, but at quite a cost.
    The bolt action Rugers, on the other hand, are generally known for their accuracy. A Ruger 77 in 308, as far as everyone has told me, would certainly do the job if you want an accurate 308.
    The question is, though, how accurate is accurate to you? I'd recommend broadening your horizons as far as choices go. If you want a tack driving bolt action, Savages are the least expensive and generally are very accurate, and will give you a variety of models to choose from.
    If you want a semi, consider a version of the FAL or G3, both likely to be below the cost of a Mini-30. If you want more accuracy and are willing to pay more, there's the AR-10 and M1A. M1A would be particularly suited if you want a single piece traditionally styled wood stock. Though they'll cost around a grand. FAL and G3 also come in varieties that will give you better accuracy at higher cost.
    If accuracy is the main factor, you can get a Savage for a third the price of an M1A that may not be as accurate.
    G3 and FAL are in the 400-500 range, less than a Mini-30 and in my opinion better in every way. My G3 gives me about 1moa. Not all are that good, but they can't be too much worse.

You looking for a hunting rifle, target rifle, national defense rifle?

3. practical

practical G&G Newbie

I'm looking mainly for a target/long distance plinking gun. It will see occasional hunting duty. My 10/22 is already set up to do the trick at about 200yds, but it's time for more. I considered .223. I love them, but not really a great choice for hunting. AR-10's look great, but a little too $$$$$ for my budget. I'm looking to keep the gun under $700 so I can afford a sizable scope. FAL's are cool guns, but I've fired one and the frame/gun weight is a little hefty for me personally unless I'm on a bench. Do you have any oppinions on the CZ bolt actions? I've found out little about these accept that they are Mauser knock offs.

BTW: Stainless is the only way to go for finish. And preferably synthetic stocked.

4. JohnD

JohnD Member

What kind of accuracy do the FAL's or the G3's get?

5. BattleRifleG3

My FA-91 G3 gets 1moa with Winchester Supreme Match. Some people say they're usually not that good. Some say 4" is acceptable, but I'm thinking they mean with surplus ammo, which gives me 4" as well. FALs are probably similar, with some of them being quite accurate and others not as much. FALPhil on the FAL forum has quite a bit of experience with varying accuracy in FALs.

I've never held a G3 and FAL one after the other, but I think the G3 is a little lighter, and definitely less barrel heavy, though a bit heavier than bolt actions. The base model G3 variant would probably retail $450-500 (dealer cost is $395). That uses an aluminum receiver, not stainless steel but with similar corrosion resistance. You can get versions with stainless receivers for a hundred or two more. But other parts aren't stainless.
    If you really like Rugers, a 77 in 308 will be accurate, but a Savage that costs hundreds less will probably do just as well. I personally don't like the Ruger 77 stocks. I'm aiming to get a Savage in 300 RUM when I have a little more $$$.
    FALs give you more options for stainless parts, but if you don't like them then it's not worth spending lots of money.
    Though I think for your budget of 700 or a little more, you just might be able to get a no-frills bolt action and a no-frills semi.
    Of course if you're ready to do two different calibers, you could get a Savage and decent SKS for well within your budget.

6. Due to the short whippy barrel, forget the mini-30 and anything better than 2-3" groups at 100 yards, if that good. Want something to spray rounds, get the mini-30. Want accuracy, go M77 MkII in .308. Or shop around and try to find good used M77V (original M77 varmint) in .308. I would definitely not overlook a Remington 700 VS (synthetic and phosphate coated). They are pricier than a Savage. I am not a Savage fan (the barrel nut gives me fits). I own both Rugers and Remingtons and feel that I have some fine rifles.

7. BattleRifleG3

Those numbers sound good for a Mini-30. Far as I know, the only good thing about them is that there's a company that rebarrels them in wildcat calibers.

8. JohnD

JohnD Member

I like heavy rifles (6'3" 245lbs). I wonder if you can get the FAL or G3 legaly in canada? I know you can get ar-15 but they are restricted like hand guns, but if the FAL or G3 was unrestricted I would like to get one.

9. practical

practical G&G Newbie

it's a very similar type of rifle. Keep hope though. There are canadian manufacturers of these guns.

10. BattleRifleG3

If I remember correctly that Canada's laws mainly involve barrel length, G3s usually have 18" barrels (including muzzle brake). FALs usually have 20", some higher. The FAL is one big rifle, G3 is more compact. You might have to look a bit for a 5rd magazine though. Maybe we could chop or pin a few for you.