close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

mini14 or ranch?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by tonto, Jul 14, 2002.

1. tonto

tonto G&G Newbie

I am in the market for a "fun" rifle. Or something i can take out and blast a way for cheap(the 10/22 is getting to be a bore)
    Or at least to have fun at the range with while my long shooter is cooling down.
    I want to scope it and will be using mainly military .223 ball ammo.
    may use it for wood chucks in future, but I do want it accurate to at least 200 yards. Need advise or some other excellent options for a autoloader in centerfire?Keep the options in the same price range too please.

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I have the ranch version of the mini-14. If you intend to scope it and use only a scope the ranch is the way to go as it has scope rings with it and has grooves for the scope rings. I believe you can still get a ranch for around $485.00. The regular mini-14 you can use both scope and sights ,but you have to buy a scope mount that attachs to the side and sits above the factory sights. I think the non ranch version is $20 to $30 dollars less. Have fun.

3. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I might be off on this, but I think the non-ranch has better iron sights. If a scope is not going to be a player this is the way to go.

other rifles in price range are tough, ma be an sks?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2002
  4. Just curious here, if you're interested in a plinker in .223 why not look at the SAR 3?

The purchase price is cheaper and I think they are much more fun to shoot than either of the mini-14's. I have a few buddies who have them, I have shot them and I found a couple of the mini's not to be all that accurate. On the other hand one of them is highly accurate.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2002
  5. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Jerry,

Your right. The Mini14 (non-ranch) has M1 style sights where as the ranch rifle has scope rings and a flimsy flip up peep sight.

6. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Thats why I said if your only gonna use a scope, the Ranch is the way to go. It has crappy open sights, but shoots better and is more accurate than the regular Mini.

7. Tonto, Everyone I've talked to and known that had a mini 14 said it was fun to shoot but not accurate. They liked the Mini 30 better. A friend bought a New England single shot 223 and its great for distance for an afordable price.

8. tonto

tonto G&G Newbie

huh??

I know this may sound stupid but i don't know what a SAR3 is?
    Guess I will do a search, sounds like it could be a fun one. Thanks

9. nick

nick G&G Newbie

just scoped my mini-14 ranch with a 4x redfield shoots greet groops are in the 2" my bubby has shot many of mini-14 and hasnt seen one as good as mine useing wolf ammo with the peep sights groups where just as good.

10. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Tonto, I believe the SAR 3 is an AK chambered in .223. It's made in Romania. You can get one of those for $350 or less and it is still easy to find cheap 30 round magazines.

11. Tonto,

I'm sorry for not being more specific.

As Eric said, an SAR3 is a Romanian clone of the AK47 in .223.

I bought mine new from Century Arms Internation (CAI) for about $339. I bought four new 30 round mags from InterOrdnance for around $69. Both guns and mags work great.

With the SAR you're not gonna have a tack driver (more than likely that is) and it's a gun for if the chit hits the fan.

I bought the .223 version over the 7.62x39 version because I can get .223 reasonably cheap and in reloadable brass whereas the 7.52x39 ammo around here is steel and I don't care for steel casings.

I have since saved/bought new 7.62x39 brass cases for reloading I am now thinking of going to an SAR1 or AK, etc. to add to the diversity and since I also have an SKS that shoots the same round.

12. tonto

tonto G&G Newbie

Thanks all, I happened to see a few sar-3 's at this weekends gun show. My bud runs with the gun shows and claims he can get me an SKS for like 125.00 wholesale, but there is just something about owning one that doesn't appeal to me- guess it's that communist block thing dunno. Anyhow they are allot cheaper than say a Bushmaster. But I may have to start saving for one, after all the whoopla about accuracy differences from old ranches,mini's to the newer ones I will keep my eyes open for some sap hard up and wanting to get rid of it. Thanks