Missouri recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jerry, May 23, 2020.

1. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Looking for possible decent areas to locate near north East MO.
    I’m focusing on that specific area because I think I can get by with out changing jobs or changing my current job activities internally too much.
    I can also still be 3-4 hrs from my daughter and son in laws place to be able to visit on a regular basis. My daughter is my world and just can’t bring myself to get too far away.
    I’m a bit familiar with the Hannibal area from doing work in western IL, but would value any opinions.
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

2. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

jerry, FWIW—

I’ve been to many states and met a lot of people from ones never visited. There are many good folks out there, to be sure.

By far and with no hesitation, the finest people I ever met were in or from Missouri.

You, my friend, will fit in well.

TXplt and jerry like this.

3. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

Jerry, you are still looking, what I would call.....A little close to Illinois, but if you have a baby girl you want to stay close to, I understand. I have a BIL that came from Baring, MO, but don't hold that against them!

There is some beautiful country up there, but then there's beautiful country all over MO. The deer hunting and pheasant hunting is a great bonus.

Wherever you move Fine Sir, will be a better place after you get there!

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  4. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

We spent a week or so here when my dad was doing a job:

https://visithermann.com/

I loved it.

It was a beautiful town, the people were nice, the food was incredible, and I was told there was good hunting and fishing in the area.

TXplt, Jaison and jerry like this.
  5. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

Jerry I have been keeping my eyes open for 40-50 acres in Missouri but just not totally set on an area. I have friends and people I do work for from time to time down in the Cape G. area. I think its awesome country down that way but since it will likely not be until I retire that I can actually move the location isn't as critical. A friend has about 15 acres he is part owner in not too far from Hannibal and there is a possibility that if the other party decides to sell I might end up with it and hold on to it as a bug out place or camping spot. Last I knew there was a mobile home and a garage/barn type thing on the property. Not the acreage I am looking for but it would be a start.

As you can imagine there is alot of folks looking for the same thing to get out of illinois or elsewhere and Missouri seems to be a spot for that. From what I have been told you almost have to find an area and go visit and mingle and ask around. If'n the folks likes youz they will point youz to whats yourz lookin fer.

ncnascarlady, jerry and TXplt like this.
  6. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

The biggest problem with Hermann is tourist season. there are a number of winerys in the area plus Ocktoberfest. Amtrak stops there on the way to and from KC and St Louis. Being right on the river it has a tendency to flood unless you can find some high ground with good roads in and out.

7. jerry

USA
    Lots of good info so far. Appreciative

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

8. jerry

USA
    Preaching to the choir. Starting to feel like a political refugee. I hate it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

TXplt and Jaison like this.
  9. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Virginia is just an election away from the same situation.

10. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    I'm seriously looking at the area between Neosho and Seligman MO.

Or moving further East in the Arkansas Ozarks.

The further away from the People's Republic of Fayetteville the better.

11. ACfixer

ACfixer Global Warming Enthusiast Forum Contributor

L35-KAPV
    Missouri is freaking beautiful, I've ridden the bike all through it... but IMO the area near Branson was the nicest.

TXplt, CountryBoy and jerry like this.
  12. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Dad was working on the local power plant so we weren't there in the tourist season. I was gangly 6'3 teenager and all I knew was that it was a pretty place, the food was good, and the girls around my age were all around 5'10 and really cute.

You knew you were in a German town, though. I talked to three different girls there; Gretchen, Heidi and Hilda. I couldn't figure out how girls that cute could have names like Hagar the Horrible's in-laws.

goat roper, jerry, TXplt and 2 others like this.