Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an M48 Mitchells Mauser and it is Beautiful...
It is as New as you will find...All matching serial Numbers, Beautiful wood, It was NOT refinished, Not Reblued, it was cleaned of Cosmoline and inspected...
Cost 299.00 for the rifle, and I bought the Bayonet and cleaning kit to go with it... While not a K98 German Mauser, it is a great gun just the same !
http://mauser.org/reviews/Press%20Release%2041%20%20OF%2021.pdf
Rich
I looked up mitchell's mausers BBB, they have a ..double rating AA, REALLY NO COMPLAINTS FROM PEOPLE...........I WILL STILL BUY THEM

·
Registered
47 Posts
Awesome shooter

if a k98 mauser from mitchells looks like new, its been refinished.
I bought one in May 2007 and had my gunsmith look at it. He said he could not find anything wrong, he used the go nogo gage. He said it was cleaned but not refinished. I paid 299.00 for the collectors with the NRA discount.

·
Registered
691 Posts
oh50
If by "looks like new" you mean the finish & stock looks new and the bolt is nice & shinny then you have a wunderfull mitchels rebuild of a russian capture K98k. The stock is new made with NO German markings, just the rifles ser nr, the rifle has been refinished and the bolt polished so it shines like an M48 - the German bolts were blued! They also renumbered a half dozed or so parts so they matched the receiver.
As a shooter there is nothing wrong with mitchels rifles, it's just that they stretch the truth so far they are almost lying about the WW 2 rifles origins and originality.

bb250
Your rifle is one of the original condition rifles that mitchels was advertising some while back. Those rifles had not been dicked with by mitchels.
However you could probably have bought a comparable rifle else where for a bit less $.
The discussion here is the ones they advertise as being original and in new condition - the rifle they show in their adds. These are totaly reworked with new stocks so NOT at all "Original!"

As far as shooters, I would expect everything they sell to be good shooters. Their wunderful WW 2 K98k rifles however are NOT collectable and won't be for probably 100 yrs.
Sarge

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mitchell's Mausers

I bought my K98 from them last year. I don't know about other's experience with refinished Mauser from MM or poor quality,etc., but mine was total perfection.

The day I picked it up at my FFL, a state trooper who collects WWI and WWII militaria was there and asked to look the gun over. He was highly impressed with the quality.He pointed out how it had the original finish and you could tell by the crispness os the markings.

I got the Collectors Grade K98. Perfect stock,spotless bolt,flawless bluing and perfect gleaming bore. I finally got to shoot it a month ago. It was amazingly smooth and accurate. The gun was a blast to fire !

The only thing I can advise on here is to anyone who has one and shoots ANY surplus ammo thru it (mine was turkish) is to douche the barrel thoroughly with hot soapy water with a funnel or turkeybaster. Corrosive salts in the primers stick in the bore and attract moisture,turn to an acid,and cause corrosion almost immediately.

I cleaned mine the day of shooting and again the next day with Hoppe's only,but very thoroughly. A week later,something made me take a look at the rifle,maybe my obsession to keep such a beautiful piece of history in top condition. Well,I found it starting to corrode ! I cleaned it over three consecutive days with hot hot hot water and soap and rinsed and blew out the bore and action with air I oiled the bore thoroughly after and it looks like I stopped the corrosion with only a very small bit left over.

Other guys had negative things to say about these guns. Again, mine was mint and a beautiful piece of hardware !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Other guys had negative things to say about these guns. Again, mine was mint and a beautiful piece of hardware !
Im sure it was....Mitchells refinishes them. The arguement isnt if they look "nice".

He pointed out how it had the original finish and you could tell by the crispness os the markings.
Nope...sorry. No Mitchells has an original finish. Their collector and premium grades have ALL been reblued. This is not opinion. It is a well known fact what Mitchells does to those rifles.

They are nothing more than sanded, restained, and reblued Russian Captures.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought a nice 1940 "243" with a mint bore and lamaneted stock for just over 300 from a local dealer. The thing was covered in cosmoline but is cleaning up nice. I think MM sells a nice looking mauser but they aren't worth the money they are getting for them. look around and you can find a better deal.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
My friend has one and its in perfect condition, I think the blond stock is a kind of teak wood and does not take stain. Face it if an unissued gun it was not used in the war except as a unused spare. It did not win or lose any battles but as a 100% gun its fine. I would buy one if I needed a great Mauser. I do not think they are refinished, just never used.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I want to hear current opinions on Mitchell’s Mausers. I’ve always thought there were way too many negative opinions. I’ve had one for many years that is beautiful. Bought it just to
see first hand how a 98k was built. For for $300 it was pretty cool to have a nice clean
M48 k98k Mauser with accessories. It decorated my hobby room nicely and can still shoot great. It was worth it to me and likely easily worth more than I paid for it Not that I care about it’s value as I didn’t buy it with that in mind.Opinions? I know this is old and tired, but I’m still curious to hear some of the opinions(the positive ones-lol).

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I bought a 24/47 from them about 7 years ago. It was a higher grade, I don't recall exactly what grade. It was very clean and shoots well. I was advised by a third party that the stock had most likely been sanded down and refinished with linseed oil or something comparable.

I am looking to sell it because I can't see the iron sights well anymore and I'm not shooting CMP vintage matches. I don't think it has depreciated at all.

I did get burnt on some purported Bulgarian surplus ammo a while back (by an LGS). The stuff roughly divides into thirds: a third doesn't fire, a third hang fires, and a third fires normally. I told my old man to take it all, pull the bullets, and do what he wishes with the usable components. He doesn't own anything chambered for 8mm so he hasn't been motivated to work on that yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I want to hear current opinions on Mitchell’s Mausers. I’ve always thought there were way too many negative opinions. I’ve had one for many years that is beautiful. Bought it just to
see first hand how a 98k was built. For for $300 it was pretty cool to have a nice clean
M48 k98k Mauser with accessories. It decorated my hobby room nicely and can still shoot great. It was worth it to me and likely easily worth more than I paid for it Not that I care about it’s value as I didn’t buy it with that in mind.Opinions? I know this is old and tired, but I’m still curious to hear some of the opinions(the positive ones-lol).
It's pretty much been stated - Mitchell's faked, forged, polished and overstamped their Russian capture 98ks and tried to pass them off as something they weren't. Don Mitchell, the scum peddler in chief even argued through emails with collectors when called on it. They're garbage for collecting. Shooter wise, they're fine, but that shiny silver bolt and sanded bright yellow stock is the indication that somebody bought the lies with the gun and wasted a lot of money supporting a crook company that ruined history.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m sure there are plenty of Mausers out there that were not refinished, so I highly doubt Mitchells had anything to do with ruining history. I preferred it the way Mitchells cleans Mausers up; as I was not concerned to buy it as a collector’s piece. I wouldn’t buy from Mitchell’s in hopes of getting a collector’s Mauser. That would be naive-lol. Quite frankly I think the hostile animosity some people display towards Mitchell’s borders on emotional instability. The words and tone indicate folks need to pay attention to what they buy. And those that display such animosity without having bought a Mitchells, may need psychological help.lol. I mean we are only talking about a few hundred dollars here for a well made cleaned up rifle that shoots. People need to get a grip. I paid $300 and was happy to do so. I have a beautiful rifle that shoots good and was cleaned up beautifully. Besides, I bought it to decorate my wall with. As for an investment- go buy real estate or Blue Chip stocks.LMAO.I’d rather spend $300
on a Mitchell’s than some of the crap budget rifles you see on the market today in the same price range. And I’d wager my Mitchells will shoot a hundred times more reliably. Some people are too funny. 😂
You miss the point. As a collector of history, it' awful to see what they did to those Russian captures. They permanently altered them and lied about it. They were sanded, reblued, bolts made silver (for whatever reason - the Germans only blued and phosphated them), and force matched and passed off as original all matching. They even turned the Russian capture "x" into an "*" and tried to tell the public that that was an original German marking. It wasn't. Only Brno made "dot" coded rifles have asterisks on them from the Germans and they weren't that big, nor were they in that location. They even have faked single rune SS markings and said they were original. Then they argued with people who had the gall to ask or question them about it.
Your asertion that the "words and tone indicate people need to pay attention to what they buy" is off case. I never touched a Mitchell's Mauser because I did my research. I've owned countless Russian captures that have been in better (and original unscrewed with) condition than any Mitchell's Mauser. Better looking and better shooting. If you want a pimp shined, ruined piece for your wall then you bought the right thing. If you want an actual piece of history that looks as it did when it was used AND shoots well, then you should avoid that garbage company.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
They are very hit & miss I have bought good guns from them but I stopped buying from them when I bought a Mosin Nagant M44. It was totally wore out the barrel was shot out so bad I could drop the whole neck of the case down the muzzle. It would hit a 20' circle at 100yds. Thank goodness I didn't get burnt for much $$.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They even turned the Russian capture "x" into an "*" and tried to tell the public that that was an original German marking. It wasn't. Only Brno made "dot" coded rifles have asterisks on them from the Germans and they weren't that big, nor were they in that location. They even have faked single rune SS markings and said they were original. Then they argued with people who had the gall to ask or question them about it..
Speak of the devil - this is a shitchell's Mauser up for auction on gunbroker right now. And what do we have here? Lo and behold it's one of those Russian capture "Xs" they turned into an asterisk. God I loathe that company

21 - 36 of 36 Posts