Mk XIX Actions

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by practical, Sep 28, 2002.

1. practical

practical G&G Newbie

Magnum Researches website doesn't seem to have one little tidbit I always like to know when I buy a gun. What is the action type. Are these guns DA/SA (my personal favorite), DAO, or SAO?

2. Klaus

Klaus Guest

They are single action, with adjustable two stage triggers.

3. shaddownone

shaddownone Guest

single / double

I believe, correct me if I'm wrong...

Single action is when the trigger just releases the hammer when you squeeze it. You have to cock the hammer on the first round.
    (on the eagle the slide moves the hammer back so you can just squeeze the secong round off.)

Double action, moves the hammer (pulls it back) and with a complete squeeze it releases it.
    You can also pull the hammer back manually, this time it is a hair trigger neaning less squeeze pressure to fire (assuming one in the chamber)

Duble action only, does not have an exposed hammer for you to cock, thus you have to squeeze to move the hammer back and with a complete squeese it lefts the bullet fly...... Usualy this is used on backup firearms.

4. Klaus

Klaus Guest

shadownone, you are correct in your descrition of DA, SA, and DAO. However many "DAO" pistols are really Single Action. They have to be cocked by racking the slide first and have no second strike capability, like real Double actions. My AMT .380 Backup is in this catagory. All the books claim it is DAO, but it is really SA.

5. shaddownone

shaddownone Guest

I went for the KALTEK

I bypassed the AMT and went for the 9mm Kaltek #11. Smaller & lighter. (doesn't hang out of my boot or look like a lump in my pants) :kinky:

When the manufacturer says it is a duble action only I would believe them. :D

My Kaltek dryfires, maybe the AMT does not, (like the remington 522) never had their manual.

All DAO's assume you keep one in the chamber, otherwise why have it. If your service weapon is gone, there is no time outs while you slide your action. :kinky:

6. shaddownone

shaddownone Guest

another question

? You have to slide your action each time you want to fire? I would call that a single shot. not a semi auto. If your AMT is like the one I test fired at the dealer, you need to get yours looked at. Why have a mag with 5 rounds if you have to slide it between consecutive shots.

When you slide you are NOT cocking, you are chambering.

7. Klaus

Klaus Guest

shaddownone, now you are confused. When you rack the slide, you are cocking the hammer or striker, unless you have a real DAO, and then chambering a round when the slide is released. On the AMT, you only have to rack the slide on the first shot, just like any other SA semiautomatic pistol. The thing is, on many of these handguns, racking the slide is the ONLY way to cock it.

8. shaddownone

shaddownone Guest

That's what were talking about

I'm not confused.
    I talk with straight toung.
    I do not call a unicycle a one wheel bicycle, or a tricycle a 3 wheel bicycle.

I would trally get that AMT looked at, if it doesnot offer a second strike, why carry it as your backup. Might as well cary a muzzle loader or derringer, Even then some have two barrels on them.

9. Klaus

Klaus Guest

Now you are even more confused. Let me repeat, the AMT is a single action semiautomatic that many people mistakenly call a double action only. Real double actions have second strike capability. That means if a round does not fire, you can pull the trigger again and try to fire it. I did not call you a lier or anything, I said you were confused, and you were, and still are.

10. shaddownone

shaddownone Guest

You're right I am confused

Why would anyone buy a DAO that is realy a single action, that doesn't have a hammer, NO TIME OUTS TO CHAMBER A ROUND.
    Why would anyone buy second rate ammo for thier consealed backup weapon, hoping the primer fires on the second of third time.

Read the posts again this time slower and when you are awake. I tried to explain in real terms hoping to spread the truth. Not to get to go back and forth on what you got and what it won't do.
    :fuss: Really have a nice day. ;)

11. GEEZ--alright already. I think we get the point.

12. Klaus

Klaus Guest

Well, shadow, that is why I keep a round chambered. It has a manual safety and a grip safety. I hope you take YOUR advice and try reading YOUR posts and my responses. I do not use "second rate ammo". I was trying to explain why the "DAO" is really a single action. You may want to look up various terms, such as "cocked and locked".

13. shaddownone

shaddownone Guest

Double Action Only

Double- two movements, hammer back & release.
    Action - verb - function
    Only- nothing more - final

But with the bunny rabbit it some times can be Tuesday, but on rainy days it is on Friday....If the Cubs win, then it will be on Monday.

Cocked- when the hammer is pulled back and stays there.
    (DAOs can never be cocked)
    Loaded- When rounds are inside gun or cylinder
    Chambered- when the round is in the barrel or cylinder in front or the barrel

Stupid - Me for trying to elplain it AGAIN and getting into this discussion...:confused:

You are right, I am wrong, it is all my fault, I'm SORRY, SO varry varry sorry (in a Mr lizzard voice made famous by Pe-Wee)

14. Klaus

Klaus Guest

Sigh. I give up. I was simply trying to tell you that some guns widely proclaimed to be DAO are in fact, NOT. I never disagreed with your statements about single and double action triggers; those were correct. In fact I clearly said so.