Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm new here so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Anyway I was bumbing around another forum when someone said something I though was stupid. He claimed to have modified a Glock 18C to fire .50 caliber rounds by replace the barrel. Which he then drilled a small hole in to the front to serve as a compensator.

All in all it sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Would you have to replace the entire slide, and magazine too? These are just hunches though, as I'm not real up and up on gun tech. So I was hoping to get some ammo to show him off as a fraud.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
For starters, the GLOCK 18 and 18C (C is for compensated) are the Select-fire/fully-automatic versions of the model 17 and 17C, all of which are 9x19mm (also known as 9mmLuger, 9mmNATO or just 9mm).

Real GLOCK 18C's can be purchased legally as a Class 3 firearm, but are hard to get and are usually very expensive, just like other Class 3 transferable firearms. Here's an auction for the real deal: GunBroker.com guns: Glock 18 C Submachine gun. (item: 74827923 ends: Jul-06-07 01:42:49 PM)

I own a GLOCK 27 in .40S&W. The width of 9mm in inches is 0.354. That means it's smaller than my .40, which is approximately 10mm. I took out my GLOCK 27 and measured with a caliper and the outer barrel width is 0.590 +/- 0.0005 inches (limitation of the caliper), as seen in the picture below:

This means that if he has an 18 or 18C, the barrel is likely smaller or even the same width, but not bigger, so the hole in the slide that it goes through isn't any bigger than that.

Since I'm willing to allow that it could conceivably be the same size, if he found a barrel that shot .50 rounds, doing some simple subtraction, he'd have a wall thickness of 0.045 inches [(0.590-.500)/2, divided by two, because there are two sides to a barrel and we're talking about one side's thickness]. I highly doubt that would be safe enough to fire any round (other than maybe .22Short or LR), much less a .50 round. I measured the minimum thickness of my own barrel's walls and the smallest area was 0.0925 inches; more than twice what he'd have.

Tell this MALL NINJA to bugger off and feel free to direct him to this post.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
glock doesnt make a pistol that will accept a 50 cal of any kind, much less a full auto one. the G18 is a fully automatic pistol that runs at 1000-1100rnds a minute. they are an absolute blast to shoot, but to the best of my knowledge their are none in the hands of private citizens. dealers, and law enforcement only , at least in the U.S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, that's pretty much what I though. Oh, he claims to be on the dutch equivalent of SWAT. So in theory anyway he would have the right to purchase said Glock. However I'm sure you can guess what my thoughts to that claim are.

Still, assuming the barrel actually fit, would he have to replace anything else? I would figure the ejection port on the slide would have to be enlaged at the very least.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
The Extractor would have to be moved Out, The Ejector would have to be moved Back,so you would need a bigger slide, then a larger ejection port , then a Larger Mag well, Then a Larger Magazine,
So I say somebody is Blowing Smoke....Or as we say...Sheise !
Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts