Model 100

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ddhartma, Mar 19, 2002.

1. ddhartma

ddhartma G&G Newbie

I've got an old Model 100 (pre-1953) that I've had for 40 years and feel that it is probably one of the straightest shooters that I've ever owned. Thought I would just post the query: How many of you have similar old single-shots laying around/still in use?

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I have two bolt-action single-shots, both pre-WWII. A Stevens 15 and an old Mossberg. Both are great shooters. I just got an old semi-auto Marlin A1, but it needs work. I wouldn't mind picking up a Marlin single-shot, but have only seen one at a local gunshow. I guess people hang onto them.

3. bgl0b6

bgl0b6 G&G Newbie

I have an almost new mdl.100 single shot but no bolt in it.It was found in the wall of a house remodel about 10 years ago.I've been looking for a bolt ever since.If anyone knows where I can find a bolt I'm always looking.....MIKE

4. i just scored one out of a customers basement for fifty dollars its my first .22

5. Big Dog

I've added a few more myself.
    A Remington 41, a Remington 514 and a Mossberg 320.
    All very good shooters, with the little 514 being a real tack-driver! :cool:

6. Uncle Red

Uncle Red G&G Newbie

My Marlin is a 39a lever action not single shot. It was made in 1941, topped with a weaver 52 4x scope. I've shot empty 12Ga. shells off a 2x4 out to about 100 yards (w/o wind) uasally only out to 60 - 70 yards though. My wife liked mine so much she went out and found a 39d made in 1971, that shoots almost as well as mine. -UR

7. Big Dog

My Marlin 39A is a '52 model, a bit worn but a good shooter. It's developed an ejection problem, but I have the parts on order from Numrich.

Years ago, I got my brother-in-law an old Marlin/Glenfield .22 rifle for Christmas, to corrupt him over to the pro-gun side. It worked!

Need to get a nice newer Marlin myself, to compare the old ones to. I wish they still made the Model 2000 target rifle - that was a very nice rifle!

8. Dustdevil

Dustdevil G&G Newbie

I've got a Sears Ranger Model 103-8, which is evidently a private labeled Marlin Model 100. My dad bought it new in 1937 for $3.75. It's without a doubt the straightest-shooting .22 I've ever seen. It's in excellent condition, however the stock is refinished, and looks nicer than it was when new. The varnish was in pretty sorry shape back in about 1975, and I refinished it using urethane. Probably devalued it somewhat, but it's a shooter anyway. My kids will inherit it one day.

9. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Hey DD, welcome to G&G! Don't worry about the value as most of the private-label guns don't have much market value anyway. Where it's true value comes from is in the education and enjoyment it provides you and your kids.

10. Dustdevil

Dustdevil G&G Newbie

Yeah, I'm not really too concerned about the value to anyone else. Its worth far more to the family than anyone else. I just want to keep it in good shape from here on.

I haven't shot it in years, but have been thinking about a trip to the desert sometime this fall to plink at targets. A nice bench rest and a 100-yard makeshift range should do the trick.

Funny, but I've also got a Crosman CO2 pellet rifle that was sold by Monkey Wards back in the 1950's and 1960's. It's also an heirloom, but a good shooter. All these private label guns, LOL!

11. I was wondering if anyone here could post a pic of their 100. I am currently trying to determine if the model 100 is the gun that I am searching for (see my post "depression era 22"). Any pic would be a help as there are none to be found on the net.

Thanks,
    Paul

12. Dustdevil

Dustdevil G&G Newbie

See if the photo posted

Attached Files:

13. Dustdevil

Dustdevil G&G Newbie

Yep, it's there. It's the Sears private label model, but as far as I can tell, it's the Marlin Model 100 all the way. As I posted earlier, I refinished the stock, and all the metal has the original finish, either blued or bare steel. I searched for a stock a while back for the Model 100, just to see if it's the same. It is.

14. ratskinner

ratskinner G&G Newbie

I have the same gun. Bought it for my son for 60.00. You can't buy a bb gun for that. When I shot it I was amazed at how accurate it was and how eye friendly the open sights were. My cousin and his friends were there when I was shooting it and every of them wanted to buy it. Most accurate 22 I have.

15. Dustdevil

Dustdevil G&G Newbie

16. Fatstrat

Fatstrat G&G Enthusiast

My hobby is finding/repairing vintage .22 "project guns" and I've got a bunch of old single shots. Including 2 model 100's,one of which is a recent competed project.
    The Model 100 was sold under several store brand names/model numbers as well. J.C.Higgins and Revelation being the two that pop into mind.

17. Dustdevil

Dustdevil G&G Newbie

Mine is a Sears, but doesn't have any JC Higgins markings on it. Nor does it have any Sears markings, by the way. I only know it was sold by Sears because it was my Dad who bought it new. But the JC Higgins brand was really popular at one time. I wouldn't doubt some of these were sold with the name on them. Perhaps mine was too early, as it was new in 1938. It appears the brand was not extended to fishing, camping, and hunting equipment until the 1940's.

I've now refinished it once again, and it's beautiful. Wasn't easy taking off the urethane coating. Here in California, they are in the process of outlawing urethane coatings, and the stripping compounds that work to remove them.

18. Big Dog

Some rifles can be roughly dated by the features. The flat steel trigger guards were early - thirties into the early fifties. Cast metal trigger guards then came into vogue til the 70's, when the plastic ones became popular - it's all about cutting production costs!
    Mossberg went from flat steel TG's to plastic in the forties - those old plastic TG's can often be shrunken and warped though.

19. Dustdevil

Dustdevil G&G Newbie

Yep. I'm with you. Mine has the stamped steel trigger guard. Hasn't changed its shape since 1938, as far as I can see, LOL!

20. bud hardgrove

bud hardgrove G&G Newbie

marlin model 100 barrel

I bought a JC Higgins 103.18 many years ago as my first rifle. While away in the US Army ( 1962-67 ) my sisters kids............ well anyway the thing wound up stuck barrel first in the garden ruining the barrel. I understand that the Marlin 100 is the same and also a glenfield. Anyone know where I can purchase a good barrel for this rifle?:feedback: