close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

model 12 .308

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JIMM, Jun 3, 2002.

1. JIMM

JIMM G&G Newbie

ok guys, after four months of waiting, I'm supposed to receive my sav. model 12 .308 . Does any one want to share their favorite receipt for reloading using military brass. I need a starting point.

2. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper G&G Newbie

Well, I don't use military brass, but I can get you started in the right direction. Hodgdon and Speer both list Varget powder at a MAXIMUM of 46.0gr in commercial brass for 168gr HPBT bullets and Speer gives the minimum load as 42.0gr of Varget in a commercial case. Since military cases usually have a bit less capacity than commercial cases, start at the minimum and work up slowly. When you get up to around 44 or 45gr, be sure to keep a close eye on pressure signs, but you can probably get up to 46.0 gr without any problems; just be sure to work up slowly and be careful since your cases will probably have less capacity and therefore produce higher pressures. In my Savage 10FP I've been having good luck with Varget powder between 43.0gr and 45.0gr with a Sierra 168gr HPBT MatchKing bullet and CCI BR-2 primers. However, I'm using Lapua cases. I have gotten the best results with the bullets seated either .005" off the lands or .020" off the lands, anywhere in between isn't quite as good. I tried touching the lands and it worked fine for the 43.0gr and 43.5gr loads, but didn't fare as well with the heavier loads.

3. savageT

savageT G&G Newbie

Do you really want to use military "brass"? I've seen 7.62 cases all over the range that are NOT brass (Russian) lying there rusting away. I think your new Model 12 deserves something better. JMHO!
    JimT

4. JIMM

JIMM G&G Newbie

I didn't say I would be using that russian crap ,its probably berdan primmed anyway . Why not use G.I. military brass it cost less just back off your loads by a couple grains.

5. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper G&G Newbie

If you could happen to find some of the Lake City match military brass, it's just about as good as anything you can buy.

6. JIMM

JIMM G&G Newbie

If you want some outstanding military brass try
    www.scharch.com/procbrass.htm I bought 1000 .223 once fired , every case was Lake City and they looked like new. They also have .308.win.

7. Reloader3

Reloader3 G&G Newbie

I've used military brass (.30-06 and .308) for years. Several things must be considered:

-Military brass (US, that is) is usually thicker, so powder loads must be reduced by about 10% at first.

-Primers are crimped on GI stuff, so the primer pocket must be swaged to allow insertion of a new primer.

-Finally, full length sizing must be carefully done to ensure that the base of the case is reduced to fit (i.e., I have a M/99C and a Browning BAR) which only accept small-base loads. The GI M-1's and m-14's tend to be rather looser in the chamber.

8. jgang

jgang G&G Newbie

My 12fvss loves the AA2230 41.5 gr and the VVn140 at about 43.4 gr. Lots of two holes with three shots at 100 yds. I use Win brass and Win lr primers. Nosler 168hpbt J4 comp's. I need to shoot more to determine the seating depth and have been using the RCBS xsizer die to prep all my shells. I want to get a neck sizing die only, but I can't decide if I want the Redding Comp set or not! Any Ideas??? jgang out