Model 1891 bayonet locking ring

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by Cyrano, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Silly question: is it possible to buy just the Model 1891 locking ring that fits the Model 1891 bayonet? I have a line on the bayo but I know that without its locking ring it will not stay on the rifle. I checked Numrich but they don't have it - or at least, I can't find it there. Does anyone know where I can find a locking ring for the first pattern bayonet?

2. jmeck

jmeck Scope mount mfgr. Forum Contributor

NC
    Cyrano, Does this locking ring normally come on a bayo? Or is it part of the rifle? I"m not to familiar with the 1891 bayo.

3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    jmeck, it normally comes on the bayonet, but it looks kind of like the Model 1891 barrel bands that have a screw in them that control the interior diameter of the barrel band, only smaller of course. If you work at it, that locking ring can be removed from the bayonet. Without it, you can put the bayonet on the muzzle but it won't stay put. I've seen Model 1891 bayonets without the locking ring before, but it's hard to find Model 1891 bayonets at any time; with or without the locking ring.

It's not like I need one for my 1899 Tula Model 1891 mixmaster, but I would like to have one just for the sake of having the correct bayonet for the rifle.

4. jmeck

jmeck Scope mount mfgr. Forum Contributor

NC
    I'll keep an eye out for one and let you know if I run accross one.