close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Model 1892 in .44-40 octagon.

Discussion in 'Winchester' started by ACfixer, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Jaison

Jaison They who choose safety over liberty gain neither Forum Contributor

Yonder
    You got mad cool factor, AC! That's a helluva shooter.

2. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

You don't just get the cool factor, you get a more valuable and collectible Winchester lever gun. Although I seek a different configuration, I'd have bought that one if the price was right. You might want to consider getting a letter of authenticity from the Cody, Wyoming records. It'll help future value as well as letting you know if it was a custom order, maybe where it was shipped from the factory and possibly other historical tid bits.

3. ACfixer

ACfixer Global Warming Enthusiast Forum Contributor

L35-KAPV
    Ha ha thanks guys, you've all reassured me that besides helping a friend out I got something pretty neat. I don't know enough about old guns so when it comes to buying on someone's word that's all I really have and we all know how that can go.

Chesterwin, I probably won't go to all that effort... I think I've only sold two or three guns over the years and none since around 2010 and even that one was just a $200 shotgun I just passed along. I think I'm just going to order a couple boxes of shells and then shoot the gun once with a string from a vice, then if all goes well I'll see how many that shortened tube holds and if I can hit anything with it. :)

This guy has a Garand he wants to sell me as well, he wants a G for that too and I know that there are SO MANY factors that go into a Garand's value with the swapped parts and re-armoring etc... the CMP stuff, throat and muzzle gauging. It looks like a really cool rifle and I think he's pretty firm on that price (especially now that I bought the 92) so I need to find a guide on how to by Garands. He's also got a Model '94 octagon from the 20's in .30-30 and a sweet M1 Carbine.

Jaison and chesterwin like this.
  4. chesterwin

5. ACfixer

L35-KAPV
    A bit less than a grand, I gave him $900 for it. He told me I could check it out for a week and he'd give me the money back if we weren't close on the price but in my mind a deal is a deal and if it's worth less or more then it's just water under the bridge at that point. I wanted to hold off a little in letting on what I paid because that taints people's opinions. ;)

chesterwin likes this.
  6. chesterwin

You should be a happy camper! Enjoy it. The fact that the value is likely to grow too!

7. CopperniX

CopperniX Forum Fanatic Staff Member

That is a nice looking lever gun. My only lever gun is a Winchester 1873 in .38-40 manufactured around 1874. With 'Off-Calibers' I would suggest getting dies and all the brass you can find.

8. Now you need a pistol in .44 WCF to go along with it !...............

ACfixer likes this.
  9. ACfixer

L35-KAPV
    SGammo has .44-40 in stock, I'll grab a couple hundred rounds but I doubt I'll ever shoot it enough to warrant reloading. We'll see...

Suggestions?

10. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

if you can find one, and if the owner would sell it.
    a USFA rodeo in blue or case hardened would be great.