close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Colt Model 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32 ACP

Discussion in 'Colt' started by dogzebra, Dec 25, 2016.

1. dogzebra

dogzebra G&G Evangelist

I was wiping things down in the safe the other day and came across this, my first Colt. For being nearly 100 years old, it feels sleek and modern in my hand.
    005.JPG
    It holds eight rounds of .32 Rimless, Smokeless in it's magazine with heel mag. release. S/A trigger with a four inch barrel, weighing in at 24 ounces. I shoot 71 gr., JHP's out of it. It may be a diminutive round by today's self defense standards, but that doesn't keep it from being controllable, accurate and since it pops .32 caliber holes clean through the side of a 2x4, it remains deadly.

I haven't messed with this pistol, other than to shoot and clean it. No doubt it needs new springs all a round. So if I can locate a set, I'll do so.

Here's a nice video regarding disassembly of this pistol:

http://www.coltautos.com/mmdi.htm

TACAV, Cyrano, PAPA G and 4 others like this.
  2. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

many years ago in my crazier days, a buddy and I were out drinking by a local pond in a fairly remote area. there was an annoying street light way out there. Ed pulls out one of those Colt 1903 pistols and with 1 shot put the light out. I have always liked them ever since. :D

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Is the pic taken under odd lighting? Looks golden.
    One of my favorite vintage pistols. One of the cleanest and sleekest early pistols.

PAPA G and chesterwin like this.
  4. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

During WWII, the 1903 Colt was issued to Generals, some other officers and OSS members. They can be found martially marked in remarkable condition because they were usually put in a drawer and a 1911 was acquired. I lucked into one a number of years ago. I wouldn't want to be on the down range side.

PAPA G likes this.
  5. dogzebra

dogzebra G&G Evangelist

My photos are taken with a very short list of shop lighting. Pistol pics are usually taken on my bench under a 60w incandescent desk lamp, backed up with florescent overhead lamps. I use a Panasonic Lumix pocket camera.

Colt 1908 32 ACP .JPG

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    TACAV and PAPA G like this.
  6. chesterwin

If it's a Gov. marked, it might be parked green like the one I have. Some Gov. marked ones were blue finished. Regardless of the finish or markings, a fine piece.

PAPA G and dogzebra like this.
  7. dogzebra

dogzebra G&G Evangelist

Although nearing one hundred years old, with quality ammo, this Colt runs smooth as a sewing machine.

Initially, I had a problem with this pistol smoke stacking. It was having similar issues as with an Astra Cub, I'd then recently purchased. The problem with the Astra rested with inconsistent factory powder loads.

I pulled bullets on a box of factory rounds, and sure enough out of 50 rounds, 10 of the cartridges held less than half the powder charge averaged with the remaining 40. Instead of 2.0 grains of powder, I got 1-1.5 gr. readings, smoke stacking and FTF issues.

What boxes of .32 & .25 acp I have now are reloads, or pulled apart factory loads that have been re-weighed and reassembled.

PAPA G and chesterwin like this.
  8. chesterwin

I've got one of those cub's too. Underestimating a .32 is one thing. Underestimating a .22 short is another. Never under estimate.

PAPA G likes this.
  9. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I have my dads's 1903. That he got off of a relative many years ago. Nice firearm, but I just never shot it. So it remains the King of my safe queens!:):cool:

TACAV and chesterwin like this.
  10. chesterwin

PAPA G likes this.
  11. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

I've been looking for one of those for years. I want one in .32 ACP and another in .380 ACP.

12. PAPA G

If Colt or some one else started making them again, I wonder what the price would be if they were original quality?

13. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Too high. Colt would do them as "instant collectibles", with a collectible level price tag, and likely a limited production run.

14. Felix's Tattoo

Felix's Tattoo G&G Evangelist

Colt DID do a special run of these a couple of years ago. Seems like someone in Ohio made them up for COlt. I bought an original in .32 about the same time. Excellent little gun, a real reminder of the Boston Blackie days.

TACAV and PAPA G like this.
  15. PAPA G

I never heard of that, got a link?

16. Felix's Tattoo

Felix's Tattoo G&G Evangelist

Sure don't..I am with my sweetie in Norway, and trying to use her tablet. But what I told about the 1903 repros is not BS. They were very expensive, ånd made by måybe that full-auto outfit in Ohio. I cannot research anything from hére, but I do remember that they were not the high Colt blue, but rather a flat dull finish. My old original with the high blue was much cheapér than the repos. I paid åbout 450, much less thån the new limited run. That is åll that I can remember.

PAPA G likes this.
  17. PAPA G